El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally purchased these tires mounted on 6 lug rims for my Montero when the tires I have currently wear out......but the tires are 15" so I can just put them on my Sprint rims.....but will they be okay?

235/75R15

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
O/E was 215/70-15.......
make sure they won't rub

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just it, I don't understand what the number designations mean, other than the 15.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If I'm not mistaken
235 is the height of tire from rim to pavement
75 is the width of the tire across the middle, parallel to rim
15 is wheel size.
go to any tire discount house on line and it explains it with pictures

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
believe the 75 is indicative of the height from rim to pavement. Like a 60 is not as tall, and on those real performance BMW's and rice burners, they are running 40's, 35's - very low profile.

So your 75's are a taller tire than came on your Elky. and wider - the 235 part.

Check out discounttire.com or tirerack.com and they should have some pictures to help you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
235 is the width of the tire across the tread pattern in millimeters, 75 is the measurement in percentage to the width ( in this case the height is 75 percent of 235).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
A wider tire puts more stress on your drive-train before it breaks free and spins. A wider tire has less pressure on the ground per sq in (worse on snow/ice). They also cost more. I plan to buy a set of OE rims and snowtires/ studs for the winter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They are very tall for the front (almost 29" tall). Check out the link below for comparing tire sizes. I found it pretty good.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

235 = 235mm = 9.25" <- section width (widest part from side wall to wide wall not tread width)
75 = 75% of 235mm = 235mm*0.75 = 176.25mm = 6.94" <- Side wall height (section height)
15 = 15" rim height

overall diameter = rim height + 2x sidewall height (for top and bottom) = 15" + 6.94" + 6.94" = 28.88" <- Overall diameter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts