El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and didn't find anything like this but i have an 86 El Camino that has a 7.5 rear end on its last leg and i came across a replacement and am not sure if it will work or not. The dimensions are 55 1/2 from drum to drum. I am aware that it is slightly wider than the stock elco rear end. I don't mind the wheels poking out a little bit. It is coming out of a stock car with a G-body chassis. The spring pads seem to be in the correct location on the axle tubes. The only part that i'm not sure about is the shock location. The shocks are actually in front of the axle tubes, but on my current rear end they are behind the axle tubes. I cannot tell if they can be switched to the other side or not. Any info would be helpful. Thanks! Picture in link below.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
No link.
If the shocks are in the front I would be careful. It is not going to be a direct bolt in. The right one shouldn't be that hard to come by or that pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the link

you have to right click the small picture icon below the text and open it in a new tab

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
There is nothing there. You inked to something on your computer and I think it is only visible to you.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
yea something weird goin on, the link is good, but it don't show up??
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/nprangers77/media/unnamed_zpsfc9nftiu.jpg.html

that measurement seems small for drum to drum??

the shocks may bolt on behind the lower arms if there is room??
if not its a purty simple welding job to fix it..
shock/bracket in front would be in the way of the stock sway bar, I think??

you may want to get the trailing arms with it, just in case there special..
or at least measure them..

it does look like a 8.5" tho..
so youll probly need to shorten the drive shaft a couple of inches..

:texas:

·
Supporting Member
4,488 Posts
That may be a G-body 8.5, or it may be an older version. If the older version, the Ears on the top of the differential are not in the correct orientation ( you can buy aftermarket arms). Driveshaft on a stock G-body 8.5 is about 1" shorter. May be different if this is the older 8.5.

The 8.5 I got had been run hard. By the time i got finished re-building it, I was in it over $2.5K. Just based on looking at this picture, I might pass and look for another replacement. Easy to find stock MonteCarlo SS rears with good gears, and usually Posi, that are a direct bolt in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts