El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another dumb question guys.. My 69 came with a antenna in the windshield.. or so I thought.. There are wires in the windshield.. But nothing to connect to the stereo. I've found 2 broken, or cut pieces of co-ax cable.. Is there any way to make chicken salad out of this?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is the hidden antennae stock on a 69:dontknow: ? This cable connects the windshield wires to the radio on my 72. The end that does NOT connect to the radio is screwed into the cowl at the center of the windshield. If the hidden antennae was not stock in 69, you can drill a hole for the mount. I can take pictures for you if needed.

Found a picture I'd posted previously: http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/showphoto.php/photo/21716/cat/500/ppuser/1865 This is right in the center of the cowl/windshield.

One more time disconnected: http://s629.photobucket.com/user/rickas47/media/Hidden_Antenna_003.jpg.html?filters[user]=92243828&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

And connected: http://s629.photobucket.com/user/rickas47/media/Hidden_Antenna_001.jpg.html?filters[user]=92243828&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Guys!! I tried clicking the links but they all came up saying "Error Photobucket". I did see the pic HKDUP87 put up. After a week of having the dash laying in the floor, I can tell you I saw nothing like that?? I did see an opening in the RF that could have been where an antenna wire came through. Could the connector have been mounted outside the truck, then routed in? And as to whether it's Really stock, Who knows? :dontknow: I am hoping y'all can tell me.. And yeah Rick, Pictures would be a big help!!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Thanx Guys!! I tried clicking the links but they all came up saying "Error Photobucket". I did see the pic HKDUP87 put up. After a week of having the dash laying in the floor, I can tell you I saw nothing like that?? I did see an opening in the RF that could have been where an antenna wire came through. Could the connector have been mounted outside the truck, then routed in? And as to whether it's Really stock, Who knows? :dontknow: I am hoping y'all can tell me.. And yeah Rick, Pictures would be a big help!!

My 85 is the same the windshield has the antenna but no plug so the PO must have changed them.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I use the hide-away antenna and like it. I have double sided tape on mine.. stuck to the bottom RH side of the windshield.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I use the hide-away antenna and like it. I have double sided tape on mine.. stuck to the bottom RH side of the windshield.
where do you run the rest of the cable, all the rest of the 105"? that's 8-1/2 FT of antenna cable! or do you just tie-strap it? is that good for it?

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/250

"The new RetroAntenna™ HPA1 amplified hide-away antenna from RetroSound® allows you to get great AM/FM reception without having to use standard fender-mount or window antennas. The HPA1 installs in seconds, using a standard Motorola antenna plug and your radio’s power antenna wire, and can be installed almost anywhere in your vehicle thanks to the supplied 105-inch antenna cable and power lead. Never worry again about a stolen or damaged fender-mount or roof-mount antenna. This antenna uses active magnetic field circuitry for enhanced radio reception. (Note: This antenna is designed for mounting inside a vehicle, and is not weather or heat resistant)"

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yeah.. it's rolled up nice and neat under the dash. I bought it at the stereo install store by my work. It's only 48" long, so it's not that bad. I've have my windshield replaced 3 times since I bought the antenna and used the same tape.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this is under the stainless steel trim at the bottom of the wiper blades? And the mount in/under the cowling? Then the antenna wire should be inside the truck (connected to the firewall) somewhere.. Right?? LOL, More fun and games!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
YES - Hanging down from the upper center of the firewall. The antenna lead will probably be hanging behind the heater box. You may need to hire a contortionist to find it :smileyb: If you have the dash pad removed it should be obvious ( again not knowing - does a 69 dash pad come off similar to 70-72 :dontknow: ? )

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
The windshield on my original '73 was loose in the frame, shimmied left and right and broke the antenna wire. I used the tape antenna after that. If the extra co-ax is a problem, you can cut the wire and attach a new plug if you have the tools or a guy to do it for you. I remember buying the plugs, both straight and 90° at my local auto parts store. Granted that was in 1980 so I am not sure if the parts are still available.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe someone put a windshield in my truck that had the antenna, but did not do the rest of the install. I've had the whole dash and most of the HVAC out of the truck and did not notice anything resembling an antenna wire coming through the firewall anywhere. And to be honest, I do not know if the windshield has the connector to wire to the antenna coax cable anyway..:dontknow: I'm guessing at worst I'll have to put a windshield and The cable mount in..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts