El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I am getting ready to have a new windshield installed in my 86 El and just wondered if a rubber gasket ,or rubber moulding ,is required ? If so who makes a "FIRST CLASS QUALITY" product ? I have always used Steele Rubber Prod out of Mooresville NC but they don't make that gasket. She said that since they didn't make it ,it might not be needed. Thanks for your feedback. WP

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Wayne, I can't speak to your 86, but when they knstalled my new f & r windshields the tech did the entire job with a batt power sealant pump. He laid down a wide and thick bead all around and laid the glass on it. I am guessing if they didn't use gaskets in 64 they most likely didn't in 86..

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Lockjaw. I am totally confused as when you call my Chevy parts dealer ,who is super helpful, they say it comes up discontinued ? Steele Rubber Products ,probably one of the best and largest Antique & Classic rubber re-producers don't make it either . The sales person at Steele said the same thing,maybe they never used one ?? My glass shop here in Raleigh was the one that brought it up to begin with. WP

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
This is from another thread:

3M™ Windo-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane part #08609

NAPA sells it, comes in a tube and can be applied with a caulk gun.

I use it at work to install windshields and used it on the rear window of my Elky.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just had one in stalled in mine. They glued it in with a caulk gun.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
No gaskets in 5th gens. Even from new. Most glass shops will use the heavy caulking and set it in place. You can also use 3M Windo-Weld ribbon all around the inside edge of the glass. You would need to prime the metal area first with the 3M primer mentioned above. Set the glass and then use 3M windo-weld caulking around the entire glass, including the lower edge.
But for what a glass shop charges it's probably not worth doing it yourself. And they'll warranty any leaks.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bobby 78, The glass shop I'm talking to says they won't set one with a glue-in setup !? I don't think the girl I'm talking to really knows what she's talking about and therefore she's going to send a installer out to look at it to see what really needs to be done. The part number that our local Hendricks Chevy parts has given me is 20177239 and that sure doesn't look like a gasket to me. ALso, how long does the 3M primer need to set-up before they set the windshield ? Thks, Wayne

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Lay the windshield flat, brush on the primer to the frame, then clean glass.

By the time your done cleaning the primer will be dry.

Cut a v-notch in the tip of the urethane tube, lay a bead around the entire perimeter about 1/4" wide by 1/2" high,(on the frame, not the glass) then have a helper help you set the glass in place.

After its set in place go around the glass and push on it to make sure there is good contact.

·
2,566 Posts
What Sean said. I don't know what that part # is? My old crash books don't show that # anywhere under el camino/caballero windshield. Might be a # for the sealer or ribbon they used.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
From the factory they used a role of Buetle tape(sp) it was a certain thickness to make the trim line up, and then urethane sealer around the edge, it was a thin layer and it would leak later from body flex and such. Now they just use this urethane that everyone on here is talking about, if they know what they are doing, they put a bead of urethane around the window opening and set the windshield on it, with spacers on the bottom to keep it from sagging, and with little or no pressure they set the windshield and that's it.
:texas:

·
2,566 Posts
In the aftermarket we use(d) the windo-weld ribbon to simulate that butyl tape.It does make the reveal moldings sit tighter.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That works for me, and I like your spelling better also!
:texas: and cold:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, They said they would not install a windshield with butyl tape caulk only. There is a piece at the bottom of the windshild that looks like it is bonded to the windshield and on the bottom about 6 " or so from each end there is a tab that drops down toward the engine compartment and is screwed into the body with one screw. I can get this,I think ,from one of several Chevy dealerships that show one in old stock. I had rather have one on hand in case we need it. It is GM part number ,20177239 and can be seen at Nalley Buick GMC . Thanks, WP

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Just make sure they are adjusted so the windshield in centered in the opening. Aftermarket windshields may vary a little from stock.:texas:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try to keep a lookout for that but I'm not going to install it myself. If I scratch it,its me ! If they scratch it,its on them !! Heaven forbid. If it was not for the thousands of "diamonds" when pointed into the sun,I wouldn't replace it. I had thought about trying some sort of glass re-finisher but I'm told it doesn't work that well.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,I had my windshield replaced today and to say I'm a happy camper is an understatement !! The guys at Raleigh Glass and Mirror here in Raleigh did a fantastic job of the install as well as being SUPER careful with my baby ! That said,the most pleasing part of the install was when they got the old glass out and cleaned the old adhesive out and ABSOLUTELY not one speck of rust !! am even more assured I have a totally rust free car !! Thanks for everyones feedback ! WP

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
I can atest that Wayne is a HAPPY CAMPER, I stopped by his place this afternoon and he was like a little kid with a brand new toy.
If you ever get a chance to met Wayne and see his car you will know why. His El Camino is one of the cleanest rides I have seen and it is his BABY. Wayne is a great guy and truly loves his car.
Glad he's a friend.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Greg for the kind words ! I appreciate the the time and advice you've given me and the "stuff" you've picked for me,but that pale's in comparison to the friendship you've shown to us. We're proud to have you for a friend !! WP & Dee

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Glad it worked out nice. Did you enjoy watching the process as I did? The tech said to me after he laid down his bead. " please, don't touch the glass or try to help me." He made it look easy like a pro would.
Yes, you are lucky concerning rust be no issue. I had some minor roughness but no perforation in one corner.
I can tell you that 57 Chevvies had rubber gaskets front and rear. Saw one today getting glassninstalled with a long string. Very cool old school trick.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lockjaw, I have replaced a couple of rubber mldg mounted windshilds myself,with the aid of a friend so i had a good idea . I have never installed a glue-in so i didn't want to mess with it on a nice car . Its an art to it and especially to make any time doing it. WP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts