El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
No gaskets in 5th gens. Even from new. Most glass shops will use the heavy caulking and set it in place. You can also use 3M Windo-Weld ribbon all around the inside edge of the glass. You would need to prime the metal area first with the 3M primer mentioned above. Set the glass and then use 3M windo-weld caulking around the entire glass, including the lower edge.
But for what a glass shop charges it's probably not worth doing it yourself. And they'll warranty any leaks.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
What Sean said. I don't know what that part # is? My old crash books don't show that # anywhere under el camino/caballero windshield. Might be a # for the sealer or ribbon they used.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I can tell you that 57 Chevvies had rubber gaskets front and rear. Saw one today getting glassninstalled with a long string. Very cool old school trick.
Yeah soapy water and electric wire like 14-16 ga. works well too. Just lay the wire inside the gasket, soap it up , lay the glass in place. Have a helper gently apply downward pressure to the outside of glass while another person slowly pulls the wire around the gasket on the inside. Both guys need to work the same area in unison around the gasket until it's seated. Used to do alot of VW bugs back in the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.