El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The automatic car wash damaged my windshield wiper arm on my 86 Caballero. The spline is apparently stripped and the wiper arm operates in an erratic mode by swinging wildly from side to side. Can anyone tell me how to remove and replace the wiper arm?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
They are just pressed onto the post. You have some that have a small retainer, a piece of metal attached to the arm, that swings out of the way and you pry it up. Some you can pull off without much prying and some take a little more pressure. You'll have to look at the base where the arm is attached to the post, see of it has any visible retainer if not then you can pull it off if it does move it away and pull it up and off.

I've used a flat bladed screwdriver as help before and I have seen a tool for just that purpose. The post has splines on it to better hold the arm. They generally are a pretty tight fit.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. In this case the arm simply had to be pried off the post. There was no clip holding it on, just a pressed fit. I used a flat bladed screwdriver and a small block of wood as a fulcrum and the thing came right off. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts