El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to easily remove the driver side wiper arm?
I always pull up the keeper, but still have the hardest time getting it off.
I have a strange thing going on in that my driver side wiper does a very poor job of wiping the windshield.
I've tried switching blades and the blade that was wiping poorly on the driver's side then wipes beautifully on the passenger side.
So, I've ordered a new wiper arm for the driver's side to see if that may help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
there is a clip on the bottom of the arm that holds it on. it has a tab on the side of the wiper arm. put a screwdriver in there and give it a little twist. then your wiper arm should come off

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a clip on the bottom of the arm that holds it on. it has a tab on the side of the wiper arm. put a screwdriver in there and give it a little twist. then your wiper arm should come off
I pull up the tab that keeps the arm on the wiper knob, but I'm not sure about finding the tab on the side you put a screwdriver into?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bill,

Removing wiper arms are definitely a challenge. There is a tool for removal but I've use a screwdriver also. The key is understanding what is holding it and being patient.

Switching focus for a second...you mention your wipers aren't doing a good job of wiping the windshield. I also replaced my old blades with new ones and I seem to have similar bad results. This makes me wonder whether the surface of the windshield needs to be cleaned and scrubbed with a glass cleaner. I haven't done it yet but will give it a shot and report back.

Hopefully, someone else has investigated this already and can provide some feedback.

·
Registered
327 Posts
They should come of easily. Push the arm up just enough the clear the windshield washer nozzle now raise the arm up until it stops slide the lock tab out which also holds the arm from putting pressure back on the arm mount. It should now just be loose and just slips off really easy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
here are two pictures that might help you.
the little tab/lever needs to be moved up to this position. I find the best thing to do is to lift the arm itself about 2-3 inches off of the glass and then it moves more easily.
Now the shaft that the arm mounts onto has some very fine splines on it so it is somewhat snug coming off. Also it has probably been on there for years some weather type corrosion is probably on it.
Use a screwdriver and gently pry up on the arm.
Good luck

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts