El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this belongs in the body section. But if anyone has replaced their windshield with one that has an antenna built into it or if you know this is the question:

Where is the connection at on the windshield? Does it go to the same location in the passenger door jamb to connect there? Or is it inside the dash somewhere?

While I've seen the windshields with them I've not seen the connection point. I need to know so I can prepare for when I replace my badly cracked one.

thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a 1971 Z/28 that also had a built in windshield antenna. I loved it. I can only speak for the '70-'71 years. The windshield connection is right in the middle at the bottom of the windshield. I can only guess your radio's antenna would connect right to that in the middle of your dash/windshield.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I can get rid of the old antenna completely. But do you know where I can get the connector that goes from the antenna connection? Sounds like it goes from a button connection to a standard antenna connector. I'm guessing you don't get it with the windshield.

thanks

·
1,867 Posts
The windshield with a built in ant. comes with the button to hook to the exsisting connecter. I thought about changing to a external ant. but the price for the windshield with or with out was about the same. The one in the windshield works fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Poltergeist said:
Ok so I can get rid of the old antenna completely. But do you know where I can get the connector that goes from the antenna connection? Sounds like it goes from a button connection to a standard antenna connector. I'm guessing you don't get it with the windshield.

thanks
Does not come with a windshield, I had to get mine off of a donor car...I think it was a later model Regal.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
acauth1 said:
Does not come with a windshield, I had to get mine off of a donor car...I think it was a later model Regal.
I better start getting a volume discount from my salvage yard. 8O Thanks Robert, there's a Regal at the yard that I've taken a few things off of already. I'll be going tomorrow and see if I pull this.

Tommy my problem is I don't have the existing connector to go to the button. My Elky came with the antenna on the fender. The body shop has elimanted it and the hole, along with a few hundred dents and dings. 8O

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
You'll need to remove the wiper arms, and the chrome/black trim at the bottom of the windshield, unplug the attenna wire from the radio, and the two bolts holding the adapter to the body. You will alco have to drill a hole in the body to accept the adapter.

·
1,867 Posts
Understood. I hope you can find one.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Interesting forum...I may consider doing this myself. Where is the adapter actually located and do all 78-87 GM G-body windshields interchange? I was thinking of going with a powered antenna but this may be a better idea.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I did my switch 2 years ago I got the following from GM, #6270498 & #6270654. Didn't need one of them, but don't know which one. The adaptor connects between your antenna cable and windshield.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the salvage yard after work today. Visited a Monte, an El, and a Regal and got the below items. One to use, one for a spare and if someone else wanted one.

Ernie I know the windshield doesn't have the best reception but I mostly listen to CDs. This more for the every now and then and not all the time. Only way I know how to find out when new music is released. :)

Colin thanks but I did not get back on the board until I got home.

Mike the connector is in the middle of the windshield under the Chrome/black panel under the wipers like Robert said. Pull that off and there is a connector from the windshield that plugs into the adaptor. Next time I go to the yard I'll try and remember to take my camera and I'll take a picture of one installed and one removed. Looks like about a 15 minute install drilling the holes and dropping the wire in. I'm not positive but I think the windshields are interchangable. Someone that knows for sure will hopefully say one way or the other for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Yes, the windshields are interchangable.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Robert. Also for replying eariler. Otherwise I would have had no idea where to look for the part.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Anytime!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think I'm going to try this vice a power antenna if I can find a good windshield. Thanks for helping me to spend more money on my Elky you guys, my wife will appreciate it also...when and if she finds out. :lol:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked around here a few months back and a new windshield with the antenna was about $165 installed. Just so you know.

·
1,867 Posts
Yea, I paid close to 200 for my new one.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had to bring this back to the top. When I was working on the Elky today I removed the windshield reveal because I decided to have the shop paint the area just below it semi-gloss black so I would not be using a spray can around brand new paint. Well sitting there right under the reveal was the connector for a windshield antenna. After going to a salvage yard and taking 3 of them from other cars mine had it the whole time. 8O

Never know, anyone else that's thought about this may have the connection point and you don't know about it. I'm guessing the wire is tied up in the dash somewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts