El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know a lot of you put your babies up for the winter but my Elky is the only vehicle I have. So are there any tips you guys can give me to prep it for winter. and ways to make it work its best? We get snow occasionally, but they do love to salt the roads I know im gonanhave to give it a bath quite often. See if I can't keep a good coat of wax on it. What about oil should I switch oil weights or is it best to use the same I been using? I never was much of a gearhead but getting in tune with my elky has made me want to learn....Right now I can fix about anything that doesn't have four wheels. So I am not completely lost...thanks in advance..

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Before it gets much colder, pick a nice day, jack up the Elky (place it on jackstands) and look underneath for any spots that are rusted or bare metal on the floorboards. Remove the rust as best as possible (wire wheel on a drill, sandpaper, whatever) prime the area, and spray over it with an undercoating or paint. This is just to help temporarily stop it from getting worse, it is not a permanent fix Will. Also, take your car to the car wash occasionally during winter (once a week is good if possible) and spray the underside of the car as best as possible to wash off any salt thats accumilating. A fresh water rinse of the undercarraige helps get rid of that salt and delays/prevents the corrosion from starting. You can also take it to one of those expensive drive thru car washes and pay a couple of extra bucks to have a rust inhibator sprayed underneath. I live in an area where winters can be brutal sometimes. I run 10W 30 all year long, I have no problems with it being to thick for a cold climate. That 5W 30 must be for people who live up in the Artic. Also make sure you have an adequate amount of antifreeze in your engine, you can buy a cheap tester at any Wal-mart or K-mart, their easy to use. Remember the words of Neil Young "Rust never sleeps"

·
Registered
492 Posts
See....and all those California jokes. I'm SO glad I live in Northern California and don't have to worry about all this! :cool:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I'd run a good 30 wt. oil throught out the winter, and oh yeah...throw a couple 100 lb sand bags in the bed for traction!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Keep it clean!! These Elkys will rust fast if not kept clean in salty winters. :-( I drove my old '77 elky in the winter. It did surprisingly well. I had two new snow tires on the back with two motorcycle engines in the bed for weight :mrgreen: That winter (and my aggressive driving) killed the poor car though. I took off from ice to dry pavement with the tires blazing, ripped out the spider gears in the rear end 8O :cry:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt say Ihave it bad I just want to keep it in tip top shape. If you talk to the people where I live a inch of snow hits the groudn they flip out and start shutting down places its sad.... Its even worse in my college town.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Will7128301 said:
I didnt say Ihave it bad I just want to keep it in tip top shape. If you talk to the people where I live a inch of snow hits the groudn they flip out and start shutting down places its sad.... Its even worse in my college town.
do you live in Georgia by chance? my family almost moved down there when i was 10. it seems that if they even heard there was a possibility of snow they would close schools for the day even if the snow didn't come.

·
Registered
272 Posts
well then there's us in the Great White North eh? My good news is that they don't go in for to much salt--to cold for salt to work. Instead they use just coarse gravel! :mad: How's that for your beauty paint job.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stormspotter82 said:
Will7128301 said:
do you live in Georgia by chance? my family almost moved down there when i was 10. it seems that if they even heard there was a possibility of snow they would close schools for the day even if the snow didn't come.
Nah, Southern Indiana...

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys want to read stories about winter driving and dealing with snow? I am from Iceland and I could share a few with y'all. :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sometimes it snows here. Mostly it is "Ice" but generally only for a day or so nothing really hard. I had a issue last winter after the change to the new 383. It would warm up to operating temps but after being in wet cold weather driving down the highway it would creep down to where the choke would engage again. Heater would get cold and I couldn't keep it warm even driving at highway speeds.

I've never had a engine with that issue. Its normal operating temps this summer was no more than almost 180, according to my temp gage. I'll change thermostats this winter to a 190 or so. I have a huge amount of aluminum in and on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
See if you can find a product called Rustcheck down there
www.rustcheck.com It is an oil spray that you spray inside the panels and stops the rust dead. When you paint things after it rusts the paint tends to just sit on top of the rust....the oil soaks through the rust to the metal underneath.
The areas that require it most are inside the doors and rear quarter panels tailgate and floor pan underneath. It comes in aerosol cans with a small nozzel for spraying through drainholes or you can buy it in larger cans and use a shutz gun. I think they even have a lifetime warranty.
This is the only way to go when your car is going through wet winters. :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts