El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I decided to do the smugglers box area with a hinge, after that is done I want to spray the bed with a liner in my '75 el Camino.

Project right now is that I have the smuggler are cover off, about to buy some angle iron for a frame and a piano hinge, have to clean up the smuggler box area, will spray that are with bed liner once I have the frame built/attached, also have to makeup a latch.

Once all the smuggler box work is done I want to spray the entire bed with some bed liner, been shopping around and found a couple of brands, wondering if anyone has used any of these:

Custom Coat:

Raptor:

Here is where I am at:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used the Raptor in the bed of my 78. It's a two part, easy to apply, but you need to get their Shutz gun as the thread on their bottle won't fit a standard gun. It sprays nice and not too thick. Took about a week to off gas and harden and it's very durable.. gives a nice finish. You can tint it if you want as well, but as my Elco is black, I just used the black bottles.

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used the Raptor in the bed of my 78. It's a two part, easy to apply, but you need to get their Shutz gun as the thread on their bottle won't fit a standard gun. It sprays nice and not too thick. Took about a week to off gas and harden and it's very durable.. gives a nice finish. You can tint it if you want as well, but as my Elco is black, I just used the black bottles.
I have Rhino lining in my '87, wears great, cleans up nice when I get it dirty.

Wondering if the Raptor is as durable and has about the same thickness?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't compared to Rhino for thickness, but you can control that when spraying, with gun speed, air pressue and number of coats. I wanted something fairly thin and it has been very durable, no scuffinf yet, and the bed hoses out great.

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't compared to Rhino for thickness, but you can control that when spraying, with gun speed, air pressue and number of coats. I wanted something fairly thin and it has been very durable, no scuffinf yet, and the bed hoses out great.
Mike,

Ended up buying the Raptor with the spray gun, so I should be all set there.

Have a few questions hope you can answer?

• I have a few small screw holes, probably #6 or #8 size, wondering if this Raptor bed liner will fill them?
  • WHen spraying, is there a lot of overspray/dust? I am planning on taping with masking tape and paper over the entire car, wondering about the rest of my shop area with overspray/dust?
  • What pressure did you find was optimal for getting a good texture?
  • Did you scuff the entire bed? Mine is painted nicely, so I am planning on scuffing the entire area that will be sprayed.
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am wrapping up the smugglers/storage box area and next step is to spray that area (under the storage lid) with the bedliner, let it dry then do the rest of the bed, so I am getting close to the spraying.

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pic's of status where I am at.....

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple more pic's.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mike,

Ended up buying the Raptor with the spray gun, so I should be all set there.

Have a few questions hope you can answer?

• I have a few small screw holes, probably #6 or #8 size, wondering if this Raptor bed liner will fill them?
It will not fill in the screw holes.. best to deal with them first
  • WHen spraying, is there a lot of overspray/dust? I am planning on taping with masking tape and paper over the entire car, wondering about the rest of my shop area with overspray/dust?
Virtually no over spray, I removed the bed trim, taped off the edges, and then covered the rest of the car in plastic drop sheet.. rest of the garage I left alone and no issues... left the garage door up for ventilation as it's fairly strong smelling. I did wear my respirator with cartridges for paint, and a disposable paint suit. Took about 2 weeks to fuly off gas.
  • What pressure did you find was optimal for getting a good texture?
I think I used about 60PSI.. you may want to play with the settings as it will change the texture.. I wanted mine to be fairly smooth . Instructions say 40 - 70 depending on finish wanted
  • Did you scuff the entire bed? Mine is painted nicely, so I am planning on scuffing the entire area that will be sprayed.
Yes, I scuffed the entire bed, and in some areas I sanded down a primed as there were a few rough spots.

Sorry to be late in replying.. don't get on the board every day.. good luck with the spraying

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am wrapping up the smugglers/storage box area and next step is to spray that area (under the storage lid) with the bedliner, let it dry then do the rest of the bed, so I am getting close to the spraying.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Nice work! Thank you for sharing this with us. I know how much of a pain it is to drag the camera out while your all dirty and tired..

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work! Thank you for sharing this with us. I know how much of a pain it is to drag the camera out while your all dirty and tired..

Yes, keeping focus on what you are working on and also taking pictures is hard to do.

For all of you contemplating this type of project, keep in mind the 4th gen's are the hardest due to the shape of the storage box lid. All the other gens are rectangular (straight side edges) where the 4th gen is somewhat of an S shape and it will not go all the way up.

I have the lid attached now and the back edge of the lid is a little bit shorter than the widest part of the sides, so it hits when you try to raise the lid all the way up. Need to take some more pictures!

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some more progress, got the storage area sprayed with the bed liner (Raptor black) which came out real nice, it is pretty thick.

Also got the gas shocks completely installed, ended up having to extend the lower brackets about an inch to get as much height as I could without the sides hitting in the bed area, With these 4th gens and the shape of the storage box cover you can see in the pictures that is about as far up as the lid will go without hitting the sides.

The latches are in and fully wired to the cab area, still need to install the momentary switch and 12V DC supply to the switch, just took these pictures before I got the latches and wiring done!

Next step after the momentary switch installation is to sand the bed and spray the bed liner there!

Getting close to done!

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One ,ore pic of the gas shock upper bracket attached to the lid!

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completed! Shot the bed liner yesterday, turned out GREAT!

Highly recommend the Raptor Bed liner!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks great! will take a couple of weeks to fully cure and harden.... how many coats did you end up doing? and what PSI..

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
That is fabulous and you saved a TON of money. I think you have convinced me to do this myself on my 70.

Thank you very much for posting. Really great work.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great! will take a couple of weeks to fully cure and harden.... how many coats did you end up doing? and what PSI..
60-70 psi, basically one coat, had a little more than I needed so I had enough to go back over a few areas that I wanted heavier like the tailgate and the area just inside the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Question about the tail gate. Did you spray the tail gate up, down or removed from the vehicle?

Rick

·
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Question about the tail gate. Did you spray the tail gate up, down or removed from the vehicle?

Rick

Down, taped all around it and the hinge areas.

Reactions: B52bombardier1
1 - 20 of 25 Posts