El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets hear about those winter projects everyone is working on! I'm putting factory power windows in my 66. Took me some time to round up all the correct items.
Brian :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I started my winter project with the idea of pulling the engine to clean up the engine bay and replace all the engine gaskets & mounts. Pretty soon, my buddies and Budweiser convinced me to tear down the 350 & overhaul it. 8O
We're getting close to putting it back together. The only non-stock items will be a Summit K1103 cam & lifter kit and a Professional Products dual plane intake (I assume it's a lot like the Edelbrock Performer).
After that, I'll likely go after a set of headers then start on some body work. By this summer, the original two-tone blue & white w/ blue interior Elky Classic should be a little more sporty red version with black interior.
It seems like once you get started, it just snowballs...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Winter Project

Whew! I guess I'll just limit mine to a fiberglass cowl induction hood. Although, I "should" have read further into the forums under "Body Restoration/Cowl Hoods...Which one?......" before ordering one. Live, read the forums and learn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:lol: My Winter project started with a thud. I drifted my '82 Conquista into a tree, damaging my driver's side door and quarter panel, so I thought I'd repaint the whole ride. I also decided to resto the interior while I was at it, then came chrome valve covers, retracting antenna, bedliner, hose covers, new dashcover...whew!!! i love my '82, but I'm just getting her put back together, and in the process of wet-sanding the final clear coat. Talk about your labor of love. A little elbow grease goes a long way in making that shine a mile deep(two-tone dark chevy blue on white with all the chrome shined up). More pics for the gallery when I'm done, though. i hope to get a lot more miles out of old blue. :cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow -not sure where to start!!!! I have not started my disassembly yet--too cold up here in the Northeast----------------Plans are as follows---Entire undercarriage of my 85 to be detailed-in April-----the gas tank, the rear end, all the lines(vapor,fuel, and brake) will be removed -along with the driveshaft. I am swapping out the 7.5 rear for a 8.5 Grand National 3:42 posi-----replacing NOS the upper and lower control arms --added new air bags and IAS Edelbrock shocks to my shopping list! Everything at the rear of the car --the rear end housing, upper and lower control arms, springs sway bar -new backing plates and brake drums will be powdercoated in black before reinstallation--all the tubing is being replaced with Stainless steel ---have purchaesed all but the tubing-can't wait to get started----------and to be honest-can't wait to show it off in the spring-Pete NYC

·
Registered
276 Posts
maybe get that holley 650 Dbl Pump carb on the motor. swap stock steering wheel for SS style and maybe dash trim to. swap clock for tach. get temp sensor and oil pressure sender hooked up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I rebuilt the 2 Jet carb last weekend. It's fun undoing somebody else's goof-ups on the last carb job! I am also in the process of making a new gauge panel for my '78 with three 2 5/8" Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges and a 120MPH 3 3/8' matching speedo. I want to keep the original instrument faceplate so I have been at this for several months but now I'm getting closer to getting it into the car. I'll post pics later when I've got it all in. I need to get a fresh TH350 before the one I have lays down on me. Also need to get a speaker box made for the 6 X 9's to go on the rear wall. All this before camping season starts in a couple of months and the projects come to a halt. Canoeing rocks!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
winter projects

My winter project is to stay warm this winter. Well other than that I have been working on replacing my front clip that was damaged last winter and than I also plan on replacing the motor from a 79 Impala that I just purchased for $385. Than after that I plan on replacing the hood also replacing the fenders from a 79 Malibu. Than after that in the summer I mean I plan on finishing up my paint job which is going to make my 78 El Camino really hot. The only reason I am replacing the fenders is cause it is easier to paint them black when they are already black so just do a quick sand and paint ya know. So I will hopefully talk to ya all later. I do have my other project such as my 65 thunderbird and than also I am getting a 77 thunderbird. So I will have much more fun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my winter project is saving..... money hard to come by rite now n theres so much to fix.... :(

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My Winter project is the same as my Spring, Summer, Fall and well, back to the winter again. My 80. I do what I can in-between times where I have some money I can spend on getting what I need to keep it going or finish it off. While working on anything that goes wrong with any other vehicle. Right now I have to pull the transmission out of the 76 because it has a broken bell housing. Snapped it in two pieces. Never had that happen before. But I'll yank it out when the weather gets good enough and Mig weld it. Its just one of life's little discomforts. I'd much rather build them and drive them and never have to fix them but that is never the case so I always have some project and some side project and occasionally a side side project.:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Let's see...so far i've been focusing on the susupension and steering this winter, replacing the springs, ball joints, tie rod, PS pump, etc... Once i'm satisfied with the way she sits and handles, ON TO THE INTERIOR!!! :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
ElkyPete's broken bell housing reminds me, after I pulled the engine & trans and started cleaning up on the tranny, I noticed a weird crack on the bell housing on the passenger side. It appeared as though something from the inside tried to push its way to the outside. When I broke the tranny free from the engine I noticed one torque converter bolt was missing. I suppose it tried to escape in a previous life! It's funny though, I didn't find the bolt or nut and the dust cover was still in place....

·
Registered
84 Posts
bell housing

I have never had any major problems with the trannies of any of my cars luckily. However that dodge daytona that I purchased with the tranny problems was probably the worse thing I ever have had. So that wasn't bad cause of it being front wheel drive. So ya all have fun with those trannies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got mine home and temps are around 70 down here, so I'm about to get busy when I finish this go around on shiftwork (off for 16 days) :p

Floor pans are already ordered, so that will keep me busy for a bit. Then comes all the other interior parts, (seats, console shift, carpet, dashcover, etc..) complete tune up on the Olds 455 under the hood, then just some do-dads to get it pass state inspection...then look out in Magnolia, because I'll be on the loose.

Somewhere in there some front disk brakes to catch me, and slow down...hehe

·
Registered
195 Posts
My new winter project is to help my son restore his clasic mr bean austin mini we already have it started, we just pulled the 1000 cc engine & trans out last night, were replacing it with a 1300 cc cooper engine. he's got new 13x7 inch alloy wheels, with new flares and were painting it viper blue with white strips down the bonnet. it should make a cool little cruiser.

·
0 Posts
Just got my elco back from having all the rust repair done (floor pans, quarters, inner rockers, etc. etc.). I also finished the suspension and disc brake conversion. So as you can imagine money is now a little tight.
This winter all I think i'll get done is putting in a new wiring kit. Maybe i'll decide what to do with the engine and trans. It seems I can buy a rebuilt 350 cheaper then having the original 283 rebuilt. I'm not quit sure, any suggestions.
I did find time to build a motorized radio flyer wagon. The kids love it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
67elkybryan said:
. It seems I can buy a rebuilt 350 cheaper then having the original 283 rebuilt. I'm not quit sure, any suggestions.

Nothing quite the same as the original engine. I never regret putting my 283 back in. Just kinda looks right.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think what I would do is yank the 283, stick it in the corner of the garage, build (or buy) me a nice lil performance 350 to drop in, and one day 300 years from now (when all cars run on electricity and fly mind you) your great-great-great-great-grand kids can put the 283 back in and donate your Elky to the National Air and Space Museum as an example of early modes of affordable transportation. Just kidding...keep it all original. I think there's a really good suggestion here if you think about it. I knew a guy who had a very rare 69 SS 427 Camaro, the 427 was in the garage, a 350 was in the car. Your car is already a classic antique, but only if left all original. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know what you mean mike , the 350 has been in the car for a year and the 283 is sporting a garbage bag in the back of the garage. oh, it still has the oil in it!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts