El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fired up my car for the first time this year today. May have only been out of action for 4 1/2 months but it feels like a long time when its just sitting there. A quick shot of WD40, two pumps of the gas, choke, bang started right up. Always use stabil. It's worth it.

I noticed that it had leaked about a Quart of ATF on the floor. The previous owner (my father) had said that it leaks from the pan when it sits for a while and he just tightened up the pan bolts every year. I will give it a try next time I'm out working on the car. Anyone herd about this happening? The car is parked on an incline (front high) if it makes a difference. On a related topic I need it to rain heavily soon. The fluid pooled near my back tire and I left a big tire track stamp every 3' or so all the way down my driveway and down the street. New power train is in the works for this year anyways so if all else fails ill carry a jug of ATF with me until a significant problem emerges. The rear end started chattering when I was turning as well. That's the best part about older vehicles, there is always something to keep you occupied.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Could be the pan........is the gasket cork or rubber?
There may be a certain amount of shrinkage/expansion there. Parked on an incline.......tailshaft seal leaking? Worthwhile checking out before you do internal damage...

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
use the thick paper pan gasket iether from the dealer or a trany shop.the cork and ruber pan gaskets will leak over time.the cork dries up and shrinks and the rubber swells and pulls away from the bolt holes and leaks.you want to check where the cable and dipstick go into the case these will leak also when stored a long time .the fluid drains back into the pan makeing the level higher than usual for long periods of time and will find small leaks that dont show up normally

·
Registered
144 Posts
my TA's 700r4 always pukes on the floor over the winter it seals back up when i start driving it. I suspect the converter drains back from sitting, and it comes out the dipstick seal. never can find it however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts