El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have noticed that my wipers stay on and dont shut off unless i turn the car off.

All of the settings work like low, medium, and high but when i click it to iff it keeps going? And my cruise doesnt work its on the same lever does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks guys.

Its not neccisattily a problem its just anoying!

Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I know this sounds strange,but the park is out on your wiper transmission,new wiper motor needed,or your multifunction switch is bad .it would take me all day to type the test procedure out.:texas: my guess would be the multifunction switch

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thaink the transmission motor is good:poke: cause the different speeds work! Is there a trick to fix the switch? Its kind of anoying when i have to turn off the car at a stio light everytime it gets stuck on lol!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the wiper switch and cruise switch are 2 seperate switches, all of the cruise is in the turn handle and the wiper switch is where the turn lever snaps into. it could be a bad switch or ground or as stated above a bad wiper motor

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had the same problem a whole new wiper motor is the best way to go save yourself the headache mine was doing the same thing before i put a new motor on it and there only like 50 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I thaink the transmission motor is good:poke: cause the different speeds work! Is there a trick to fix the switch? Its kind of anoying when i have to turn off the car at a stio light everytime it gets stuck on lol!
the wiper motor, is relay just a motor,the speeds changed based on the voltage given,but it does have a park gear,and is set by voltage changes in the system,like ii had said will be one of 2 things bad multifunction switch or bad motor,just because it runs in all speeds doesn't mean the park function works .

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if im not mistaken it uses a ground signal to park the wipers .get the wireing diagram and check its inputs to verify what is bad before you start changeing parts

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Check that it's properly grounded by making sure that the three mounting screws are tight. I had an 82 with the same problem and sometimes the washer pump would stay on and drain the reservoir. My 84 wipers were getting tempermental, tightening up the mounting screws helped. When I was looking at replacing the unit I opened it up and found some loose blade connections. Tightened those and haven't had any problems. So my guess your problem is more likely in the wiper unit rather than the switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Hum, I guess my wife's grandfather had this issue when he owned the Elky because it now has a toggle switch to stop the movement. They don't come to a complete 'rest' either. I suppose I'll be looking into this eventually as well. :dontknow:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts