El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I give up. I have worked and looked at the linkages on my 86 El and just can't see a reason that one wiper parks ok and the other stays up. I have adjusted the linkage and gotten the passenger to park correctly. When the pass side parks correctly the driver side sits above the transition mldg . I have looked at pics of the wiper arms and they look correct. The linkage is tight and very little play in it and it appears the wiper trans is ok. I'm stumped ! Thks, Wayne

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, although I have invested very little time into working on it. Usually I will just push them back down to the parked position after a rain when I get out of my truck. I think I tried to tighten them up once with little to no change.

So, posting to keep an eye on the thread! :nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
My driver's side will stop just against the lower windshield moulding too. It does push on down to the 'hidden' position with a slight hand persuasion. Perhaps it is just 25 years of wear on the joints of the arm action. Or perhaps it is the changes in the rubber of the blades since all was new. I can't change it into rain sensing wipers and have to use a different key for the door and ignition when I drive it, so I live with it. Just like I live with having to turn the headlights on and off. Hard to remember at times after driving more modern vehicles...lol And I am not making a :poke: at you for bringing this up! Just saying that you are not alone.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
That has kinda been my take on it, while I don't like it, it isn't being to much of a hassle and I don't drive in the rain unless I want to. So mostly they stay down there tucked away and I don't have to worry about them. So it's one of those things I will work on when I am bored and my list of "to-dos" with the truck is done (stuff like ebrake being stuck, passenger side window not rolling all the way up, bucket seats that need to be dyed, etc).

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack, Mine is that way also,won't push down w/out putting strain on the linkage. I will guarantee you that I "will" fix it !! My 84 that i bought brand new and drove for over 230,000 miles always parked correctly so this 100k car will also. If I have to either modify the linkage rods so they can be adjusted or whatever ,I'll get-er' done ,and will let you know how it works out. Thks for the feedback. WP

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
1, take the offending wiper arm off of the drive stud, after making sure the other arm is parked properly.

2. reinstall the wiper arm in the correct position

3. say, "Thank you Keyser"

:poke: :nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keyser,Thanks for the advice ,BUT, the wiper arm has a matching index on the mandrel that it fits on when you install it ,so,it only goes on at one indexed point. Thats what I thought also,but it ain't so. Thanks my friend, WP

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read somewhere, the correct way to adjust:
Adjust the drivers side first. There is an adjustment down at the motor
shaft.
Once you have the drivers side where you want it. . . now adjust the
passengers side by lengthening or shortening the arm going to that blade.
I'm talking about the arms under the hood for the passengers side.
And away you go . . .

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have read a fellows rendition similar to that ,but I don't see any adjustments on the arm . I'll check it again just to be sure . Thks

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There is only "one" adjustment for the wiper drive on a 86 ,and probably all 5th gen. , and that is the one at the connection to the wiper motor arm. I pulled the entire drive assembly and added 3/16 inch length to the rod that connects the two wiper arms under the cowl. That lets both wipers come to the parked position where they should. Looks much nicer !! I have no idea why this car has that particular problem. Could it be that the vendors that furnished those parts made them too short to begin with ? WP

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
I saw this in my 1987 GM service manual ! Maybe this will help ?? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is fine if you have wiper motor issues,but will not help the linkage problem. I have mine fixed and will probably make up a set of linkage rods with spherical rod ends on them so I can adjust them to a exact position. Of course as good as its working now I may just leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way,in order to get both blades parking on the wiper blade rest I used the adjustment on the connection to the motor arm to get the pass. side to park correctly. Then I had to remove the driver pushrod and cut and lengthen it apprx 3/8 " to get the driver to park on the wiper rests. Both wipers rest below the hood now and function fine. I have absolutely no idea why this had to be done,except that the factory made a booboo themselves on the length . It was NO other way to get them to park properly ! WP

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it has something to do with the motor. Mine was parking fine, but I had to remove the motor to get to some wires. After I reinstalled the motor the riverside will not park under the hood.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, but I choose to ignore it and when I get out of the truck I just push it down. One other problem I have is I have not been able to find the electronic circuit board for the delay wipers, it is the only thing on my truck that does not work...

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
One other problem I have is I have not been able to find the electronic circuit board for the delay wipers, it is the only thing on my truck that does not work...
Darn. I just threw one away a month ago. I debated saving the circuit board, but didn't save it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My :twocents:,
I had a similar problem with my drivers blade hanging up on the moulding. I used an adjustable wrench on the wiper arm near the blade to twist the arm so the blade is angled at a little bit of a downward angle. Problem solved for me. if you try this, do not apply force to the casting at the end of the arm (it might break). My problem was a result of the wiper side loading the arm and creating a minute amount of "set" in the metal. It just neaded to be reset.

-Jarod

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Motor

You said you had problem after you took the motor off. Is the motor mount adjustable? take off links, cycle motor a few times then remount links, see if that works.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey Wayne don't feel TOO bad my wipers have developed a mind of their own, once I turn them on they continue to run until they decide to stop!! ?? :screwy: I thought replacing the dash switch would solve the issue, NOT so much. lol

I know you'll figure it out Good luck. :nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts