El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my 81, el Camino conquista this last Friday and didn’t notice the wipers did not work until I got home. I don’t know if it is a switch issue or a motor or maybe I’m just not understanding how to turn them on. Whenever I flip the switch from off to low and high I get no response. If I press in the switch I hear a click come from the motor. I have delay wipers. Any help diagnosing what I need to fix would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The click is the washers..The washer pump rides off the wiper motor when its moving the wipers back and forth, so no wiper movement no whasher water.
I would check the fuses first. Also check the ground wire thats connected to the bolts that hold the motor down. Its probably a motor or a bad connection.. If none of that helps, remove the motor and test it at your bench.. When the motors off make sure the wiper linkage moves freely and grease everything up..

Even if you do get it going, I would still remove the motor and clean and grease everything. These parts were only designed to work for 10 years at best..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The click is the washers..The washer pump rides off the wiper motor when its moving the wipers back and forth, so no wiper movement no whasher water.
I would check the fuses first. Also check the ground wire thats connected to the bolts that hold the motor down. Its probably a motor or a bad connection.. If none of that helps, remove the motor and test it at your bench.. When the motors off make sure the wiper linkage moves freely and grease everything up..

Even if you do get it going, I would still remove the motor and clean and grease everything. These parts were only designed to work for 10 years at best..
So I ran the bench test and the motor only ran at high speed so I went and picked up a new motor today. Got it all hooked up and still nothing. I checked the plug and I was getting 12 volts from the center prong but no movement from the motor. I’m no electrician, so how much power should I be getting from the other two prongs on low and high speeds?

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
welcome Collin
the power goes to the motor from the fuse [no switch]
the switch controls the grounds, 2 of them.. [and power to the squirters]
1 ground for 1 speed,, 2 grounds for the other speed..

check the switch ground to the body..

heres a write up.. not sure its for the same year tho..
WIPERS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome Collin
the power goes to the motor from the fuse [no switch]
the switch controls the grounds, 2 of them.. [and power to the squirters]
1 ground for 1 speed,, 2 grounds for the other speed..

check the switch ground to the body..

heres a write up.. not sure its for the same year tho..
WIPERS
I believe it may be something with the switch ground. Any clue where the switch is normally grounded at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it could be tied in with the dash ground,,
look above or in front of
the Park Brake assm on the driver side kick panel ..
I believe the diagram isn't for the same year. For me it seems the lamp won’t go off when I touch the center of the harness to the center prong of the motor, but does when I touch the center of the harness to the first prong.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The slower speed is done inside the wiper motor, the voltages would be the same at each terminal. You are switching the ground side of the circuit instead of positive.

Think of electricity like water. It flows from the positive, the faucet, through the device, the dishes and out the ground, the drain.. If either the drain or the faucet can flow water, nothing happens..

Depending on which side you check the circuit you will get different results. Before the device, positive hot, ground dead. After the device, positive hot, ground coming from the device in the on position will also show hot.. Because the electric is flowing through the device and searching for a place to drain..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you test the new motor again to ensure it works? I replaced both the wiper motor and delay module last month on my '82 but ended up going through I think three remanufactured ones from the local parts store before I got one that actually works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The slower speed is done inside the wiper motor, the voltages would be the same at each terminal. You are switching the ground side of the circuit instead of positive.

Think of electricity like water. It flows from the positive, the faucet, through the device, the dishes and out the ground, the drain.. If either the drain or the faucet can flow water, nothing happens..

Depending on which side you check the circuit you will get different results. Before the device, positive hot, ground dead. After the device, positive hot, ground coming from the device in the on position will also show hot.. Because the electric is flowing through the device and searching for a place to drain..

With the wiper switch turned off, I tested before the device I was getting power. I then disconnected the ground and used my test lamp the a ground and I had no power.
F42A158F-1E13-453C-BC9B-17F327D7B88B.jpeg

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
most WW mount bolts are rubber mounted,
only 1 usually has a ground strap around the rubber mount to the firewall..
the power and ground on the motor may be isolated from the housing,
that's why the switch provides motor speed ground.. maybe??

if you see a ground on the housing, it may be for the stop/ park or the washer..
maybe ??
I know, I don't understand it ether, but it works when its right..

test the motor with 1 power and ground
and with 1 power and 2 grounds on the 3wire connector with the power..
I usually use a fused jumper lead for testing, cuz I aint no lectrick-trition ether..

check for 1 or 2 grounds thru the switch on low and high too..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did remove the original ground strap from the motor in order to pull the bottom mount out and bolt that down first. I made a different ground with the wire you may have seen in my last comment. Is it possible that the new ground strap may be my issue?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts