El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i alraedy know the answer to my question but just wanted to make sure. Here's my question. I recently swapped front ends 81 to 83 since the 83 has four headlights and an extra marker light i need to modify my wire harness. when comparing the two harnesses i noticed that the wires going to the lights are the same colors coming out of the firewall harness and the same number of wires, 6. There is LT Green, DK Green(Horn), LT Blue, DK Blue, LT Brown, and DK Brown. Now my thinking is just to splice the 83 light harness into the 81 and just connect the colors, but i want to splice pretty close to where it comes out of the firewall before these wires branch out into all the lights. sound right? I have to do this since the engine wires on the 83 harness were cut to pieces so i can't just swap harnesses. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thats the same thing I did with my '78. When I swapped in the '84 interior, I had to use the '84 wiring as well. I had the same issue with headlight wires, 2 & 4 headlights. I spliced them about 3 inches after they came out of the firewall connection. It's low, and under the wiper motor and can't be seen.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for the info, thats exactly what i was planning on doing. Since its slow at work today i think i might try to do it today i brought both harnesses, soldering gun, and shrink wrap with me today to work. I'm also planning on swapping interiors too, my 83 parts car had a near perfect interior just a little dirty about the only thing i couldn't use from it was the carpet.

·
Banned
881 Posts
It sounds like you've got a good plan. The wire color codes for the header panels are the same for 78-87 El Camino. As long as you're not color blind it should be an easy conversion.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The deed is done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts