El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, So... I have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/300869309218?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 And I want to use to engage my starter, I'm completely lost.. do i need anything else?? What wires do I connect?? or Is there another source where I can figure this stuff out?? :neutral2: also I'd like to have my key engage the starter also if thats possible ,or the key can put in the acc and on position and have the button actually start it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Wiring a push button

Here is my engine start button. Ran red and purple wire to back of starter solenoid , black to ground. Key must be in the "On" position to use button, or can use key to start engine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my engine start button. Ran red and purple wire to back of starter solenoid , black to ground. Key must be in the "On" position to use button, or can use key to start engine.

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/84withzz4/media/100_2472.jpg.htmlhttp://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/84withzz4/100_2472.jpg
Thankyou thats as simple as it gets haha, but "to the starter solenoid" you mean on the button right? or the the actual starter solenoid in the engine bay?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Thankyou thats as simple as it gets haha, but "to the starter solenoid" you mean on the button right? or the the actual starter solenoid in the engine bay?
..you could,it will be "hot" all the time,or you can tap into the fuse block,run a wire from the "IGN" side of the block.that way,it will be key control. nothing like having a kid playing around in your Elky and he pushes the start button and hearing the engine cranking over..:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yes, from start button to solenoid. Eliminates cutting into wiring harness.

·
Registered
323 Posts
..you could,it will be "hot" all the time,or you can tap into the fuse block,run a wire from the "IGN" side of the block.that way,it will be key control. nothing like having a kid playing around in your Elky and he pushes the start button and hearing the engine cranking over..:dontknow:
god forbid it be in gear

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
As I stated earlier, key must be in the "ON" position to engage start button.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Yes, from start button to solenoid. Eliminates cutting into wiring harness.
...just concern about power to the start button..:beer::beer:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So this is pretty much the the connections to my ignition switch. I learned that the yellow wire engages the starter and one of the red wires provides power, so if I were to connect those 2 wires to the momentary button would it be alright to use it to start the car? Id like to have the key turned on to the on position to be able to operate the push button.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
What I see is a pink wire going to the distributor, a purple wire going to the starter, and a yellow wire also going to the starter. The yellow and purple wires are connected together at the switch. These are all #12 gauge wires.

The key would need to be in the 'Run' position. In the Run position the pink wire is connected to the red wire so the distributor will have 12 volts. As you guessed, the yellow and red wires should be connected to your new switch. The engine should start when you push the switch. It will also still start with the key.

Why bother?

Jack

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was helpful info jack, I was wondering what gauge wire I should use, and now I know what the pink wire does I think I might solder a wire from the pink to the switch and the other side of the switch to the starter wire so you need the key o start it. But I ve always wanted a push button ignition it just creates a certain kind of satisfaction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts