El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I recently installed a tachometer in my 1977 Elco, but I want to wire it into the dimmer switch. I don't know the correct terminology for it, but I want to wire my tach so that the back light comes on and DIMS with the other gauges.

The tach has a red wire that's connected to my stereo's power wire, a green wire that goes to my distributer, a black wire that's grounded in the same spot as my stereo, and a white wire for the illumination back light.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sure i could figure this problem out if I had a instrument panel wiring diagram or something, but they're just not easy to find.. Thanks again in advance. :smileyb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dash lamps are usually gray wires...might try tapping into heater control head lamp..they're usually still hardwired versus being on a PCB

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Tap the white wire into anyone of your other dash light wires for the dash lights. (Gray Wire)
Or you can tap into the Green wire at the Head light switch. That wire goes to the inst. panel fuse
in the fuse box (4 amp fuse, top right corner). from there it turns into a gray wire that goes to the dash lights.
The best place is the Ash Tray light, easy to get to, if the bulb is burnt out, good time to replace that also. Remove ash tray, then remove the bracket for it, drop it down and you'll see the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind, can you explain how you did that? I'm new to the whole wiring scene. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tap the white wire into anyone of your other dash light wires for the dash lights. (Gray Wire)
Or you can tap into the Green wire at the Head light switch. That wire goes to the inst. panel fuse
in the fuse box (4 amp fuse, top right corner). from there it turns into a gray wire that goes to the dash lights.
The best place is the Ash Tray light, easy to get to, if the bulb is burnt out, good time to replace that also. Remove ash tray, then remove the bracket for it, drop it down and you'll see the light.
I connected the white wire to a grey wire coming from my instrument panel. I assume it was wired to my speedometer. The back light of the tachometer that I hooked up now does one thing that I wanted: comes on when i pull the courtesy light, or the headlight switch, which is great and all, but... Is it possible to make the back light actually dim when I turn the headlight switch? :dontknow: I tried looking for any other wires to connect the white wire of the tach up to, to achieve this, but had no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help the first time around. That helped me out a lot! :You_Rock:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
If you don't mind, can you explain how you did that? I'm new to the whole wiring scene. Thanks!

Or you can tap into the Green wire at the Head light switch. That wire goes to the inst. panel

It was explained in the post just above his post. The GREEN WIRE that's plugged into the back of the HEADLIGHT SWITCH is where it's located.
:secret:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was explained in the post just above his post. The GREEN WIRE that's plugged into the back of the HEADLIGHT SWITCH is where it's located.
:secret:
So I have to connect the white tach wire to the green wire connected to the headlight switch AND to the grey wire connected to the instrument panel fuse?

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Just hook the white to any gray wire around the back of the instrument cluster and you will be good to go!
You're making this waaaaaaaaay toooooo hard. I believe you are over thinking it but better than making a mistake I guess.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
You are absolutly correct, I explained that to him as well as a few other options. Sometimes too much information is alot worse than not enough I guess. But that's a guess ya know, cuz, what do I know? lol :beer:

·
Registered
196 Posts
LMAO calma calma, don't make the Coyote howl, :poke:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts