El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished getting the Rostra cruise wired up. When I look at the LED control with the key on, I get red light when I turn it on and off with the switch on the turn signal stalk. That's all I see on the diagnostic panel. Anyone have an idea what isn't hooked up right?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
It has a self diagnostic feature which uses that led, if JJ finds you a manual it would describe how to go about using the feature. And yes, most cruise systems have a speed thrushold before they will engage, (30 mph. Also, are you tach sensing or have a speedo cable driven signal generator? Another mess is about a dozen dip switches that have to be set properly, depending on how you are speed sensing, some signal generators are four and eight pole and the switches need to be set right. If tach sensing, they need to be set for 6 or 8 cyl, etc. Any one of them wrong and you'll have problems. I've installed many of them but not in several years and have probably tossed the install booklets. I still do a lot of cruise work, but mostly factory junk. I still have about six or eight old ARA testers as well as some old GM. Ford and SCS/Frigette CDJ testers.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Robert. I have an installation manual, that I have been working from. It doesn't tell what's causing the problem in my situation. The Rostra tech person asked me to check the grounds for the break switch and the unit ground. I will list the model number for the unit. I'm not very good trouble shooting electronic devices. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. The ground wire had disconnected under the connector. Fixed all issues. Working with Dakota Digital' who uses the Rostra unit, they worked me thru the DIP switch settings and identified a ground problem quickly. Cruise works great.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks jj. I'm using the transmission setting for the speed setting that came with the unit. This cruise control is a used one I purchased from a member here.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Thanks jj. I'm using the transmission setting for the speed setting that came with the unit. This cruise control is a used one I purchased from a member here.
Speedometer cable driven signal generator that you mounted in the speedometer cable, or picking up the signal off the Vehicle Speed Sensor buffer on instrument cluster?

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The speedometer is attached to the transmission. The cable does from there to the speedometer. Once I get the wiring problem solved, then I will be checking that part out. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
TROUBLESHOOTING

A. LED Light is staying on during self diagnostic testing procedure

Answer: If LED stays on during test,
(1) you have a poor ground on black wire main ground of unit or

(2) Violet wire at cold side (negative) of brake is not seeing ground
through brake light system (See relay instructions in step C), or

(3) switch 12 of programming switches is in the wrong position.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There isn't any lights staying on. The red light blinks when unit is turned on and off. I don't see any other lights at all. This maybe my lack of understanding, I thought I would see lights showing the switches that are on. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
no, I don't think you will see any lights on the DIP switches,
just note the position, on/off and compare with the instructions for the function..
can you get it into the SELF DIAGNOSTIC TESTING mode, ??
that's where you test the input and maybe output signals, the LED will blink with the input...
:texas:

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks jj, I'll see if I can find the diagnosis test. I'll check the current switch settings. with the instructions.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
The speedometer is attached to the transmission. The cable does from there to the speedometer. Once I get the wiring problem solved, then I will be checking that part out. All help is appreciated.
Yes, I get that. Are you looking at the LED on the switch itself, or the diagnostic LED on the control box

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm looking at the control box on the fender where the 12 switches are at. An added note, I haven't started the Elk yet, just want to make sure everything is right.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know if the Rostra cruise control 250-1223 is a closed or open system? The download and my Rostra instructions don't show that model. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts