El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1977 El Camino classic with 36 000 original miles. The car is really perfect except that in the past couple days, I've noticed a slight wobble in the rear end. This wobble only happens when I'm going very very slow and completely disapears once I'm driving at normal speed. It feels like one of the wheels is bent or something, but that's not it because I checked. Any ideas? Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
380 Posts

I'm betting on a slipped or broken belt in one of the rear tires. I've had the same symtoms before and thats what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the car again this weekend because the wobble really seemed ok and only happened at really low speeds. But Sunday I was on the freeway and it starting getting really really bad, so I found a speed where it wasen't so bad and drove home slowly.

How can I tell if a belt is broken in one of the tires? Do I just give it littl kicks etc... and try to feel it or is there a "real" way?
Thanks,
Eric

·
Banned
881 Posts
Take a close look at the inner and outer sidewalls of the tires. You'll might see a bubble or a lump. They can make a wheel out of balance. Swap your tires front to back and see if the problem moves to the steering wheel.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok you guys are good! I took the car out again for a test ride on a small road. What I did is let someone else drive the car slowly while I was standing on the rear bumper to look at the rear tires. Something is definetly wrong with both of them!

Here's what I'm thinking: this car was bought from an old guy who had himself bought the car in 1977. It has only 36 000 original miles. I believe that near the end, he wasen't using it much anymore, which could mean the car sat still in one position for months, maybe years. This could have busted the tires which might have taken a shape. Once in my hands, the car goes back on the road again. I've driven it for about 600 miles. So the tires may have had a weak spot [where they were sitting] and once back on the road busted. This might alos explain why I got a slight wobble at first, than almost suddenly a much harder one [second tire fails]. Does this all make sense?

Now the thing I'm wondering is why the REAR tires?
later'
Eric

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Eric @ B.O.S said:
Now the thing I'm wondering is why the REAR tires?
Oooooh...just wait, if the rears are bad, chances are the fronts will let go too! Time to get new tires. I rate that right up there with good brakes. You have pulled the wheels and inspected those bad boys right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't pulled the wheels yet, but I'm definitly changing all 4 tires + the spare. I'm getting top quality stuff. I'm gonna drive this thing around alot so I don't want to have crappy rubber between me and the hard concrete at 100Mph which is a common speed for me.

Thanks again!
Eric

·
Banned
881 Posts
If it's been sitting a real long time, I'd look over the brake system with a fine tooth comb. Rust never sleeps. The brake lines will rust causing the tubing wall to get thinner. Holes will pop through when the system is put under stress from heavy braking. It wouldn't be fun to feel the brake pedal go to the floor when you try to decellerate from 100 MPH.

:mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts