El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5th gen. When I turn on the a/c it blows out of the defroster and the floor. Thats o.k. in the winter when I have on the heat, but in Louisiana its hot about 85 percent of the time. How do I make this thing blow out of the a/c vents? I have vacum hooked up from under the hood. Any point in the right direction would be apreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had this same problem and i had a hole in my vacuum ball. its on the heater box cant miss it its probably cracked or got a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
The problem is a vacuum issue for sure. The air mix door isn't getting the proper input to switch direction

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
May also be your control. when it is in one position and move it to another if the vacuum leak is on that part it may not work right. Mine will sometimes "hang up" and blow cold out defr and heat vent with a/c on. It may take a mile or two and it will eventially come out the right vents

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
This is the same thing mine is doing. I went through the lines, changed out the vacuum ball and replaced the controller...still does it. :neutral: I do have the smaller line coming from the ball not connected, but it is sealed off with a golf tee (yeah, I know, but it was like that before). Is it supposed to be connected somewhere that I'm not seeing? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I have the same issue with my 87, but I haven't spent the time to track down the issue yet.

I can turn on the defrosters and it comes out up top like it's supposed to. But when I switch to heat, vent or A/C you hear noise like the door is moving and you hear air streaming for a couple seconds. But the air still stays on the defroster. I am going to try and track that down this summer, I'll be watching this thread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, i too have the very same issues, no vent air, just heat and defrost ( thank Gawd! ). So I'll be watching this post as well, just waiting for the summer heat to motivate me......LOL!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problemwith my 85. Check the vacuum switch in the control head. This is the cause 99% percent of the time. A fairly simple fix, or get a shop to do it. Should not take more than 30 min of labor time.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The control head is the panel with the heat,
AC and fan switch in it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i have a lot of pics of mine when i was tracing down my leak. its deffinately not a proffesional job but its been fixed for about a yr now. and it may help you find where things are and go. i can email you the pics and some comments on where certain things are. my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dont laugh, but I really dont know how to check my email. Could you post the pictures on this site? And from what Ive seen I dont seem to be the only one on this site waiting on the edge of his seat for an answer to this problem. LOL:secret:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm just going to show you where all of my stuff is so you can trace yours and compare.. 1). Under the glovebox is four screws and when you open it there will be another attatched to a cable on the right side. 2). Once off you will see an orange tube going to this. 3) on the driver side behind the radio you will be able to look up and see your yellow tube that controles your ac vents. 4). Now back on the passanger side behind the radio you will see a cluster of tubes. Yellow going to driver side. Orange going to passanger side by kick pannel. Purple and Grey going through fire wall by pass kick pannel. Once through the purple and grey go to a ~3" vacume 5). Once through the fire wall the purple hose goes to a ~3" vacume ball. With a black hose coming out of the ball. 6). The grey tube I capped off and the black tube I ran to a vacume off my carburator. I don't know how it came from factory but this is what I had to do to get mine to change from heater to vent. I hope it isn't to confusing and can help you out. if that doesnt fix it then there's only one other thing I can think of. When you take the controls out of the dash there is a piece that the vacumes all go in at. When you move the ac/vent control you can see the round pice that changes the vacumes. If it doesn't get a good seal then it won't change to ac. I used a small fine thread screw to tighten them together b/c it looked like mine was missing parts. Ohh thers a clip on the back of the part its in one of the pis. I used a pick tool to flare the tabs up to get it off the tab w/o breaking it. hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad vacuum lines.

I have two Caminos and both have the problem with all air coming out the defrosters. I found the line coming from the black vacuum ball going to the heater controls dry rotted behind the heater box. I had to take the inner fender out to replace the bad section of line. Now both work fine.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I had this same problem bout a year ago.I replaced both vacuum switches behind the a/c control.I did it myself,it wasn't that hard,been workin fine ever since.Thanks to Neil,he knows everything about GMs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts