El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
437 Posts
****! Can`t believe I got caught up in an 8 year old conversation, it must be fatigue and beer, not paying attention.
Forget what ever I said.
JP

·
Registered
43 Posts
@O52.. Thanks for the advice! One would think if a place called themselves “The El Camino Store” They would be a go-to for the said vehicle in their business title.. The price on those cranks wasn’t the cheapest or the most expensive ... Hope they didn’t have the dirt cheap variety I avoided at other Vendors and mark them up per their name! If so lesson learned!

Putting new dash lights in the car today I realized I needed a new dimmer/light switch.. Will certainly look into the vendors you suggested, thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
One time I ordered the wrong part. It was my fault and the parts were clearly marked in on there web site. They took it back and paid for the return shipping! Cant ask for more then that..

·
Registered
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man , this is a real old post from 2011 . I've always had issues with all the distributors of parts , OPGI , NPD , Dixie & others . My main beef is the shipping & handling charges . Some of the shipping charges are higher than the parts . What I learned to do is look up parts in their catalogs then look on ebay for the same parts with free shipping . Most all of repo parts are made by a handful of vendors & are the same parts they sell on ebay . Also some outlets provide free shipping with most of their parts like JEGS & SUMMITT . The El Camino Store (Ecklers) is now located in a new building in Titusville ,Fl , only about an hour or so from me & NPD is about 3 hours away . I have had good service from Dixie Monte Carlo now Dixie Restoration & Mikes Montes , I did have an issue with NPD but got it resolved by talking to a manager . Also instead of ordering parts online call the 800 number & talk to real people , I've had better luck that way , also try ordering parts directly from the manufacture , lower prices .
Chris, if I may, I'd love to point out a few dynamics relating to your post. I assure you, this is not intended as a rebuke, but rather to be informational for all..

Shipping these days is absurdly expensive (UPS/FedEx/USPS), and it's only getting worse. Someone has to pay it, either the seller, or the buyer, or a combination of both. Hence the myth that is "free shipping". UPS certainly isn't delivering your parts for free, so that expensive bill has to be paid. So here are the potential scenarios...

1. You pay for the part, and you pay for shipping. Keep in mind that even at a contracted-commercial rate, it costs over $6.00 to ship a door lock knob in a tiny box from one side of town to the other. Not to mention the labor/human costs of processing, pulling, packing and shipping a small order, along with the costs of the packing materials.

2. You pay for the part, but shipping is really cheap or "free" - In almost all cases, the free shipping is just a smoke-screen, an illusion, a trick. The cost of shipping is "wrapped" or "buried" within the costs of the parts. You're paying shipping, but the placebo-effect of seeing "free shipping" works wonders.

3. You pay for the part, and the price is the same as vendors who charge shipping for the same part, and the shipping is either cheap or "free". In THIS case... You are typically benefiting from a monstrous conglomerate that is so huge, they basically "stomach/absorb the loss" on shipping cheap parts free.. Amazon, Summit, Jegs, all commonly seem willing to sell and ship small items at a net-loss. They're so big, it's like "whatever" to them.. But in the long-haul, if they put all the dedicated restoration parts outfits out of business due to their power-of-scale, then you'll be stuck relying upon huge companies for your quite niche/specialized restoration parts. They don't really vet quality, or correctness, or anything like that.. They're just supermarkets, they'll re-sell anything that a W/D supplier will upload to their database in ACES/PIES format. It's like watching your home town hardware stores die, and being stuck with Home Depot for the rest of your life, only much worse. And they'll never have all the obscure details or small-time vendor niche-products like dedicated restoration parts suppliers have discovered/sourced. Because most of our supply-chain is not computerized enough to sell to an Amazon or Summit or RockAuto.. Just painting the bigger picture here..

4. Or the opposite of #3.. On eBay, you might be buying from some tiny 1-man operation that has no overhead, very little inventory, and is literally working from a garage in the back yard. Willing to pocket a nickel on a transaction, if that's what it takes to get a nickel. Sometimes these are good opportunities, but other times you find that the guy you bought the part from is too "skinny" to afford to take it back if it's defective, or accommodate returns... Or heck, he might not still be in business in a year when you discover you've got an issue/claim. It's impossible to compete with the ultra-small suppliers, but they also tend to put themselves out of business by selling stuff too cheap and running on a razor's edge.

5. Last, be VERY careful with the "Most all of repo parts are made by a handful of vendors & are the same parts they sell on ebay" assumption. This is so very wrong, very frequently. This industry of restoration parts is vast and complex, and there are so many categories and instances where manufacturer/quality/price is not the same. We draw from over ONE THOUSAND active suppliers!! Hardly a "handful"! So be really careful when you think the part is exactly the same. It might be, but be careful.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble for a bit!! And also, thank you for your past (and hopefully future) business!!

Rick
NPD

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
Thanks Rick for giving us a behind the scenes look at how the parts vendors work. Really proves the old adage "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The Parts Place has some hard to get parts that nobody else seems to have.. I have never had any issues with them..

·
Registered
3 Posts
the El Camino store

I was getting ready to place an order tonight(11/12). When I started to click the site, I noticed that the google map stated that the titusville
location was permanently closed. Last week I had a delivery which was a duplicate of an order I received the previous week, and some parts that were part of the order were missing. I called the next day to check on the missing parts. The service rep told me that the item was delivered at
9:48 the previous day and signed for. I said that didn't happen, as I was home all day, and my dogs start barking as soon as you approach my property. She suggested that a neighbor signed for it. She immediately ordered a new shipment of the missing part, which arrived today. No signature was required as it was left on the front porch. in the past month I have received 3-4 orders shipped quickly. I suspect they are going through some reorganization. They recently brought the corvette store and other eclkers companies together in the titusville location.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
They are still in Titusville , Fl but are no longer on US 1 ,they have moved to a new bldg. closer to 95 off the 406 or 407 . Eckler Corvette was the original store on US 1 , EC Store used to be in Athens, Ga . Eckler bought the ECS & moved it to Fl . I have bought many parts from them in the last 10 years . My main beef is the shipping was so high from Ga .Now I can drive there about 50 miles away . I haven't been to the new shop yet . Shipping charges are high with all vendors . You can find some of the same parts on ebay motors with free shipping .

41 - 50 of 50 Posts