El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I nomanate MY engine that I took out today, for the nastiest, grossest proof of neglect, most caked on oil engine that has been pulled. This engine had 200k or 300k, who knows, but you could not see not ONE bolt on it anywhere to even put a wrench on. members cars, 5th gen, page 3, humble beginnings. take a look, and if you have worse than the one i pulled, lets see it, cus this one was BAD! I had to clean my hands and tools like 5 times just to stay where i could pull it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My 76 was in really bad condition when I got it. Then last "Mechanic" had dropped a bolt down into the intake manifold. Needless to say it was sized up when I took the truck. The transmission was held on by only two tight bolts the rest were backed out far enough I could turn them out with my hand, the one that were still there. The whole underside if it was covered in 30W from the oil pan to the back bumper. The drive shaft had a big dent in it where someone had ran over something. The Idler arm on the front end was so "rattley" that I am amazed it had enough metal to stay in one piece. The radiator was shot the transmission had a big, I mean big, dent in the pan which no doubt happened around the same time the drive shaft was bent along with the floor board.

So I know what you're talking about. My only regret was not taking before pictures. I am not even going to get into the body work it took to make it look decent again and all thouse issues or the wiring. It was truly a POS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
nasty ol' engines

Yea, I had this enlightening exsperience :( . I just bouhgt a 67, and it "ran" but the freeze plug on the drivers side was out. so I jammed in my long prybar, and drove it home. What I DIDNT know was the freeze plug in the back of the moter inside the bellhousing had bunches of holes all over them, so water was pumping out of the inspection cover. The engine had so much gunk opn it, it took 2 hrs with my pressure washer just to see the bolt heads, etc. Buyer beware i guess. But all is not lost, i replaced the engine with a new one.hehe :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts

my beater is posted in member rides. the list is sooo long of things to replace....it seems like a nightmare sometimes. I'm up to $5000, and not even close.

·
1,867 Posts
A testiment to how well GM built their engines! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The worst engine that ran i ever saw was a 302 Ford.We pulled the intake and you couldn't see the lifters or the pushrods.Pulled the drain plug and just a drip of (crude oil) came out.When the pan was removed we took the gooy oil out with a scoop..Needles to say,this 1 got a long block and the owner got detailed instructions on oil change intervals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i nominate my moms car, we had a 76 Seville. She rarely did any maintenance, and I remember as a kid, we were in the waiting room and the mechanic brought us out to show the oil. It was the most black acidic type of liqued I've seen in my life so far(and i'm now a mechanic).
oh yeah the Seville was a die hard and was given to me when I got my license in '86.

·
Registered
277 Posts
actually that picture reminds me of my elky.... mine has rust on it tho :(.
not really much i can do about it, since i don't have money or a job yet.
i give it's oil changes on time and check all the fluids when i get gas, still runnin like a champ :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
DIRTY MOTOR...

8O My neighbor gave me a Motor (complete) that they took out of a friend of hi's car & it is just like that! Who ever had this Motor had never herd of GUNK or SIMPLE GREEN...EVER...I was told that this Motor has well over 300 on it & it was STILL RUNNING! :p "GO CHEVY" It turn's out from the number's that it's a 55'-63' 283!!! :) The Motor I am putting in my 59' I found out, turn's out to be a LT1 350!!! :cool: I can't waite to get my Elky on the road! "SKULL"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts