El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1972 el camino and I have lots of ideas. I am thinking of adding a full carbon hood and only having the center stripes carbon in appearance. The rest of the hood will be the color of the rest of the car. Would anybody consider buying a hood with this apperance? Open to comments or sujestions.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow...tuff one.

The carbon hood look is soooo import looking to me!

When I first read the tread I was going to say, "I don't have a Civic!" But you bring up a different look with just the stripes standing out in the cool darker carbon fiber look!

Gee I never saw those hoods with any paint on them? Can they be painted on? Of course that carbon fiber color is a kind of dark color changing gray/steel looking color. Might look cool.

I love my steel hood on my '70 so it would not be for me, but others might be interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbon Hood

I really like your 70 el camino. Since the 72 that I just bought is originally white, I'm definetly going to paint it white againg. Hopefully it will look as atractive as yours. Since the current hood on my car is warped, I am considering the carbon look. I have to replace it and I'm open to new ideas and looks.

A couple of friends that have conections with a carbon company and I've asked them if it is possible to make a carbon hood SS style and paint it white and only have the center stripes carbon. I posted up this question to see if anybody would consider doing the same, or to find out if my idea is completely meaningless and wouldn't be word my time and money.

·
1,867 Posts
Man, that will be alot of carbon fiber! It will probadly be way to expensive to be worth it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think it could look good but i don't think it would be for me. I would ether paint the whole thing or go whith a steel hood but I have to applade you for origanallty

·
Registered
232 Posts
I plan on having enough power to not need any lightweight body panels.

The idea is interesting and kinda expensive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
CARBON FIBRE HOOD!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! please...... not on an Elcamino, i beg you! with whip cream and a cherry on top? think of how your poor little elky would feel being seen with a carbon fibre hood! fiberglass is ok but please for the sake of pete not carbon fibre! :p :-D seriously, if you want to go light weight get a fiberglass aftermarket hood. besides you wouldn't want to get sucked in by the ricer crowd with the carbon fibre hood? would you?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
stormspotter82 said:
... for the sake of pete not carbon fibre! ...
Hey! :cry: Wait a minute! :mad: For my sake? :D

If I were just building to race, like I'll do to the 72 I have, a carbon fiber hood would be useful actually the whole front end, a swing up type. It would be painted so the "Carbon Fiber Look" would be a moot issue but the weight savings over fiberglass is better and it is stronger material.

Check this out, no kidding. NASA is looking into building a "Space Elevator" using Carbon Fiber Nano Tubes as a ribbon that would be anchored in the Equator and extend up to space. This thing would carry loads comparable to what the shuttle does now. A “Lazer” would propel it.

However, for my other Elkys I don't see the need in even a Fiberglass one. Most stories I've heard about the fiberglass hood are not good ones.

·
Registered
314 Posts
nothing is wrong with carbon fiber. calling it ricey means your calling a McLaren F1 a ricer. The only time i wouldn't paint over carbon fiber is if i painted the rest of the vehicle black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts