El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would these fit under my 87 stock system like the Monte Carlo below? Is the underneath the same on both?

Just testing the waters here... I have a true dual exhaust setup for an '87 SS Monte Carlo (not sure if it will fit other years but it probably does, you guys would know better than I do)

Stock spec piping, Flowmaster 40 mufflers, true dual - as in two pipes ran in place of where the stock catalytic converter would go - meaning no aftermarket crossmember needed. No y pipe. No X or H pipe either, for that matter. Nice chrome tips. Will bolt right up to stock 305 manifolds. Bought new engine and long tube headers and this setup won't do so I have to get rid of it. Asking $300, but make me an offer. Worst I can say is no.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Elkies have a slightly longer wheelbase. It may need to be extended a few inches or cut back to exit out the sides. Only thing you'll need is a different trans crossmember (double hump) or modify yours.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elkies have a slightly longer wheelbase. It may need to be extended a few inches or cut back to exit out the sides. Only thing you'll need is a different trans crossmember (double hump) or modify yours.
O.k I don't want to do any more modifying.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You won't have to mod your cross member you can clearly see that both run to the passanger side hump then bend back to the middle..... Stock cross member would be fine.. just take it to a muffler shop they shouldn't be that hard to put on...

·
2,566 Posts
OK so then just the difference in wheelbase

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
You won't have to mod your cross member you can clearly see that both run to the passanger side hump then bend back to the middle..... Stock cross member would be fine.. just take it to a muffler shop they shouldn't be that hard to put on...
Probably would have to install that himself, most shops in Ca are well aware of the emissions laws and that system is not legal on a '87. Any local muffler shop that put that on would open themselves up to loss of license and significant fines so most will give him a pass.

thats not to say there isnt some shop out there somewhere that would do it, but in my experience most muffler shops wouldnt touch it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If he has a cat on like I'm sure he does all they would do is cut it after the cat and to make it legal would need another cat for true duals.... Like I said take it to a muffler shop and they will tell you what you gotta do to keep it legal... So two pipes two cats..... You wouldn't need all that pipe in the picture.. might be cheaper just to cut off the mufflers and run all new pipe....

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
If he has a cat on like I'm sure he does all they would do is cut it after the cat and to make it legal would need another cat for true duals.... Like I said take it to a muffler shop and they will tell you what you gotta do to keep it legal... So two pipes two cats..... You wouldn't need all that pipe in the picture.. might be cheaper just to cut off the mufflers and run all new pipe....
Sadly, two cats arent legal either :(

·
2,566 Posts
So by the time he does all that there's really no point in paying $300 for this and throwing most of it away. Essentially he'd be paying $300 for 2 used mufflers!

·
Registered
929 Posts
You could order a nice cat-back setup from Pypes or the like for close to that price, then you will have a high quality piece that will be emissions legal. Just remember, it has to be el camino/caballero specific or it will not fit correctly.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,050 Posts
I'm in an enhanced zone (San Diego to be specific) like HKDUP is - for example here is the checklist muffler techs are supposed to use when installing a new cat - read line item 6. truth is its not just against CA. law its against federal law to modify a Catalytic control system into a configuration other than the factory configuration. the only exception in CA I'm aware of would be a system that has a E.O. number.

Federal Enforcement though, is spotty to non-existant, in CA the enforcement is somewhat more rigid. Again. like I have to qualify all stuff like this, "All of this is not to say that you cant find a shop to do it, its just the the letter of the law says they may not"

After the Cat you can do whatever your heart desires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like FauxRS, my understanding has always been that letter of the law was you were only allowed to modify the exhaust after the cat ("cat back"). Anything done upstream in CA needs the CARB EO certification. Whether it's enforced is another matter.

The bends on that exhaust system don't look all that great anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts