El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....could completely change the look of the interior! I saw a thread with steering wheels and I really liked the Grant on 87ls's car. I have the Grant Classic on my S10 and really like it. So I ordered the Challenger GT for the El Camino. My '81 has that hokey fake wood grain dash, so I thought a wood style steering wheel might match nicely. When the Grant showed up, it didn't look "quite right", so after a few coats of Linseed Oil, the color really POPPED! Now it matches great with my dash. I just wanted to post up a pic. The wheel not only looks great, but wow, does a wood trim feel great on the hands!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
....could completely change the look of the interior! I saw a thread with steering wheels and I really liked the Grant on 87ls's car. I have the Grant Classic on my S10 and really like it. So I ordered the Challenger GT for the El Camino. My '81 has that hokey fake wood grain dash, so I thought a wood style steering wheel might match nicely. When the Grant showed up, it didn't look "quite right", so after a few coats of Linseed Oil, the color really POPPED! Now it matches great with my dash. I just wanted to post up a pic. The wheel not only looks great, but wow, does a wood trim feel great on the hands!
Not to mention, the price is more than reasonable! That and the size makes the steering feel just a bit tighter!

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That and the size makes the steering feel just a bit tighter!

Joe
Agreed!
Honestly, I didn't even realize it was smaller than the factory wheel when I ordered it. I just liked the look on your rig. After the first drive, I was like, dang....this feels way better than the stocker! lol

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,651 Posts
That wheel with the wood grain does look real good in your ride . I have had that same Challenger steering wheel in both my 83 and 87 Camino for around 15 years and love them . I especially like that the smaller 13 in. size ( most vehicles are 14 in. diameter ) , gives a little more room behind the wheel . With power steering the smaller diameter does not matter and they are under $ 100 . I have the blacked out wheel . I also bought ( online ) , a removable steering wheel kit that allows me to remove/replace the wheel in 20 seconds for security .

Reactions: bikerlaw

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I just assumed it was the same diameter as the Grant on my S10.
A 13 inch wheel on that truck would be awful as my S10 has power NOTHING!
No power window, no power locks or seats, and of course no power steering. That's gonna be one tricky Dick when I get my 355 in it. Especially trying to keep it straight. The El Camino is a pleasure to drive and very easy to correct when it gets loose. Most of my friends think my S10 will try its best to kill me!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Agreed!
Honestly, I didn't even realize it was smaller than the factory wheel when I ordered it. I just liked the look on your rig. After the first drive, I was like, dang....this feels way better than the stocker! lol
Trust me, there will be one on my Mustang project when it gets closer to driveable!
WIN_20201003_15_47_04_Pro.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts