El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I just joined the forum, starting on a 1968 base El Camino, originally equipped with a 307 C.I. small block V8 and an automatic transmission. It's a factory A/C car, non power steering or brakes. The original engine, trans and A/C parts are missing. Last registered in CA in 1990, but I got it with a clean title. It appears to have been painted yellow originally as far as I can tell, no vinyl top.

At some point the dash was replaced with an SS396 piece, and the SS cluster was included with the car in really poor condition but complete. I also got the SS inside wiring harness as well. Not sure of the rear end ratio, I assume it is a non positraction piece.

It rides on a complete set of Rallye wheels, 15x8 inch in the rear and 14x8 fronts, with all the trim rings and caps.

The plan is to convert the car to a manual transmission of which I have two, both a Muncie M-20 and a Super T-10 w/a new 11" Zoom clutch. I'm installing a fresh 0 hour 350 4 bolt block equipped with World 2.02/1.60 iron heads, speed pro 9.4 to 1 pistons, a single plane Edelbrock intake mounting a Holley 780 carb from a Z-28, a fairly stout Lunati cam and Hedman long tube headers.

The plan is to paint it a shade of forrest green with tan carpet headliner and seat upholstery, black dash and door panels.

Hans

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing your build. Have fun and great luck with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I have built many cars in my 66 years, so it's kind of my thing. I should have it driving within a couple of weeks, since I have a complete drivetrain sitting on the shop floor. Pedal conversion is first, then install and plumb the engine/transmission. With any luck, the drive shaft from the THM350 that was in it will be the right length, we'll see. Murphy's law says no way!

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I got the new engine to the shop tonight, and I plan on installing it on Saturday and Sunday. I'll try and upload a video of the running engine I made a couple of months ago, it was on a make shift stand. I just tried to upload it, its too big.

I'll do the pedals first, but I only have limited access to the shop, so plans may change as we go along.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to be a minute, it's long. You only need to watch a minute or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should be all good now, sorry, I build cars, not so good at this arcane stuff. My wife is the techy, who knew?

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got the video up. Can't wait to get in the car this weekend. Got the exhaust adapters today and picked up the radiator from the radiator shop, He said it was an original GM A/C 3 row radiator, but it is a narrow piece. I'll cover the opening on the driver's side for now.

My dash bezel is cleaned up, but in poor shape. It needs paint, but worse, it is cut at the radio and at the top, above the HVAC controls. I'll post a photo.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at the available instrument clusters, I realize I have a '69 SS 396 Dash with round primary instruments, not the square style found in 1968. Were the two years interchangeable, or do I need to source a '68 piece? The car is going to be a driver, so it can be almost anything. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Got the engine in today, as well as the M20 four speed. The drive shaft from the old THM350 bolted right in, but I need seals for the old open 3.25 differential and the tail shaft on the transmission. Fun day, only disappointment was the headers, they didn't fit, which was to be expected since I bought 'em for a C-10! So, radiator, hoses, some sort of ignition, shifter, that sort of thing.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered up a set of Hookers just now, Gonna focus on the shifter setup tomorrow. Do these cars come with a short water pump originally? The engine has a long pump, but the pulleys and fan clutch don't fit the large bolt pattern on flange at the front. I have a short pump with both bolt patterns on the flange, but I want to mount the alternator on the passenger side to the head. Not sure if that will go with the short pump. Any thoughts?

Hans

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Ordered up a set of Hookers just now, Gonna focus on the shifter setup tomorrow. Do these cars come with a short water pump originally? The engine has a long pump, but the pulleys and fan clutch don't fit the large bolt pattern on flange at the front. I have a short pump with both bolt patterns on the flange, but I want to mount the alternator on the passenger side to the head. Not sure if that will go with the short pump. Any thoughts?

Hans
Not positive about a 307 car, but my ‘68 396 came with a short water pump. I “Think” GM switched over to the LWP on everything in ‘69.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may re-think the alternator location. I found a complete A/C case with all the hardware (including the blower motor) for $25.-, what a score! That stuff would have cost me hundreds piece by piece. I'll use a modern compressor, but it'll be some sort of hybrid system in the end.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a lot done this weekend. Shifter is in, pedals are in, but I still need to cut the hole for the clutch pedal to bell crank thingy (I know it has a name, can't pull it out of the fog right now), and waiting for the headers. The headers got mixed reviews and it wasn't clear if they work with a stick. We shall see!

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just picked up not one, but two complete A/C cases, complete with evaporators, POA valves, expansion valves, relays, the works for $25.-, I ever got a set of hoses and manifolds! The guy is pretty sure he has a complete set of brackets and a couple of compressors as well. Nice shop, there were 4 Camaros there, 2 of them RS convertibles, and 3 65-66 Mustang fastbacks in various stages of repair. The guy does restomods with disc brake conversions and aftermarket A/C kits.

Hans

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had forgotten about the need to remove the inner fender on these cars to get to the blower motor and the rest of the case!

Hans

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am jealous of you talented and able folks who work on their rides. Now a days I feel I have accomplished something getting up and getting to the bathroom in time. If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amen to that. I can't even function on a creeper on my back, I have to have a hoist and all the jacks and lifts that a shop provides. I get help with the the stuff I can't handle on my own.

So I got the cases, here they are:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts