El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85-305 smog-A/C motor. I'm trying to replace the A/C belt that wasn't on the car when I got it. I removed the smog pump (belt was missing to it too)
So I have one belt that goes from crank to water pump to power steering, I have another one that goes from crank to water pump to alt. but that leaves my A/C belt just running off power steering pump? That don't seem right? I thought A/C always come offf the crank????:dontknow:
Anybody?
Donny

·
Registered
571 Posts
Triple D
don't know if this helps 80 smog motor:smog pump and alt on pass. side ac and ps on driver side

3 pulleys on crank
inboard pulley :AC,PS to crank
center pulley :pS,water pump to crank
outboard pulley: smog pump,alt.and wp to crank

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
DDD

my 82...

3 pulleys on crank
2 large sized pulleys on WP, 1 much smaller pulley outer most - to AIR pump
2 pulley on PS

inboard: Crank to PS only
center: Crank, WP, PS and A/C
outer: Crank, WP, ALT

then the smaller WP most outer pulley went to air pump

But we both know who owned this before me, so who knows :poke:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
usually the ac cars had 3 pulleys on the crank.2 on the ps pump.the ps uses one from crank to ps and the ac goes crank ,ps and ac.and the alt and air pump use seperate belts

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Yep, three pulleys on crank.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyones right. Somebody had switched some belts out the wrong way. But while I was working on it in my driveway some idiot did this to my new Mustang!!!!:let_it_all_out:

No insurance!! Police go called and much to my disapointment I don't have the pics. of his getting towed off to impound!!!
At least I was home and caught him.
He had a BIG Greasy pi--ed off gear head getting right in his face!!!!
Now I have a not so happy wife!!! I think I lose!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Everyones right. Somebody had switched some belts out the wrong way. But while I was working on it in my driveway some idiot did this to my new Mustang!!!!
I once had a 1984 Firebird. It seemed to attract idiots, too, and by the time I traded it (in just over 2 years), it had a little ding on every fender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts