El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
So is your father defending the X frame? There was'nt a lot of good things said about that frame. I liked the shot of the two cars colliding. I don't think I'd like to be in either. Thanks for that link to that web site, I think I'll be spending some time there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I'm not sure what his view point is. I need to get him online here. I simply found the info interesting!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on guard duty one night during some training exercise and witnessed a station wagon flip end - o and then roll (took me 30 minutes to convince some Lance Corpral that this wasn't part of our training). 6 folks passed. When day light came, I actually got down to see the wagon. The thing was twisted (like you would tear a tootsie roll apart!) All of the sheet metal was actually wraped around that "X" joint in the frame.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Looks weaker, IMO, than a normal squared frame. That one joint taking all the stress?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,306 Posts
..had a 63 impala 4 door auto,I swap it out to a 4 speed and the read upper control arm littery broke from the frame,if your going to restore any 'X" frame body,I suggest reinforceing that part of the frame...

:beer:

Attachments

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,586 Posts
Interesting.
Thanks for the link. It not only explains the whole GM frame picture, but brings back memories.
Back in college I had a '64 SS Impala with a 327/ 300hp and Muncie. Every now and then I would tear out the driveshaft center support bushing from the mount. It must have been defective frame, as it couldn't have been those 4000 rpm holeshots!:poke:
I got to be pretty good at pulling the driveshafts at the side of the road. Thank goodness the tires we had 40 years ago were so crappy!
Now they have super-strong center supports, designed for the lowrider crowd.
Thanks again for the link

Bill

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,306 Posts
Interesting.
Thanks for the link. It not only explains the whole GM frame picture, but brings back memories.
Back in college I had a '64 SS Impala with a 327/ 300hp and Muncie. Every now and then I would tear out the driveshaft center support bushing from the mount. It must have been defective frame, as it couldn't have been those 4000 rpm holeshots!:poke:
I got to be pretty good at pulling the driveshafts at the side of the road. Thank goodness the tires we had 40 years ago were so crappy!
Now they have super-strong center supports, designed for the lowrider crowd.
Thanks again for the link

Bill
..exactly..:beer::beer:

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Gilby,

That is an old racer trick for the 58-64 Chevy's. They all came with one rear upper control arm and two lowers. Everyone welded on an extra upper arm so that they wouldn't rip the axle out from under the car when they hit the gas. I have had to fix the damage it can do. Lots of hammering and plenty of replacement sheet metal. Luckily it is all under the rear seat and noone ever sees it. SHH!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Billy Jack, my 63 Impala SS convertible also ate a few center supports and rear end "pumkins" from driving it to the track and racing it. I spent way too much time underneath that car in the middle of the night. Wasn't 64 the last year for the X ?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I had a '64 Impala with a pretty well built 327 and an M22 4 speed, I became very quick at changing the rear driveshaft/frame bushing and all the control arm bushings. They just can't handle the hard launches. :nanawrench: Also my car's body was cracking right behind the rear windows on both sides, another common xframe problem. There are kits now to add ladder frame outers to the X's but I don't think there was back in the early 90's when I had mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts