El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally got my 454 in my Elky and drove it home. I'm gonna have to wait until I get paid again to have the exhaust run. I have a stock, low compression 454 with 2and a half inch exhaust manifolds that I'm gonna run through Thrush turbo mufflers. Would an x pipe make a difference from red light to red light or should I just save my money ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Personally I feel it would have one on my 69 big block Chevelle and feel a noticeable mid range throttle response:dontknow:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moderately modified but just put true duals on my 84 elkie (bone stock) and am already getting better mileage and throttle response, big block small block same rules apply more air in more air out more power,which may take fine tuning to fully get maximum dividends but can be easily achieved with little crunch on the piggy bank for initial investment. HAMMER DOWN:eek:nfire::eek:nfire:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Just for fun I Googled which is better...

...H or X pipe or none! There is some good info. available! Here's just 1 link! One of or own I believe? :bigups:

Are Separate Pipes the Best Type of Dual Exhaust System?

www.carid.com/articles/are-2-completely-separate-pipes-the-best...
Need Help? Easy Returns Help ... is increased at all engine speeds. As with the H-pipe, an X-pipe also ... engine will benefit from a dual exhaust system with an H ...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I always got told you do an x-pipe for performance, and h-pipe for sound or when an x won't work. If you wanna save some money, get the 2.5 inch muscle car exhaust kit from jegs. I run it on the big hulking *******, sounds awesome, and I think it cost me about 150 bucks plus mufflers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
".......I have an H pipe, but if I ever do it again I wont bother with one......
Some of the "improvements" with X & H pipes are imagined instead of actual, on a mild engine....."

I agree with Bill on this. The one exception is if you use mufflers that aren't large enough to to support the engine (a real possibility when you start getting up over 450CI ).

I generally build my own exhaust and did straight duals on the wife's 84 (350). When I did my 83 (500 Caddy), I used a Pypes X pipe. It actually worked really well as far as placing the mufflers where they need to be.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
It Runs & Sounds Great!

Nicks has nether X or H. Any body that's seen and herd Nicks el thinks hes running a big block. I took it to a muffler shop because I wanted a X put in and they talked me out of it. Pixs in the garage. Nicks also has the Jegs exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
IIRC, (back in the day:yell:) before they were called "X" or "H" pipes(s), they were called balance tubes. You would take a crayon and draw a line on both exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifold to the rear seat footwell area. Then you'd take your car for a short ride to get the engine up to operating temperature and at that time you'd check the crayon marks to see how far back they had burned. That end of burn spot on each exhaust pipe would be where you'd weld in your balance tube between the exhaust pipes! ... One thing about the "X" or "H" pipe is that they are always a positive asset and NEVER a negative (they don't reduce horsepower or economy)! ... From what I understand, the "X" pipe will do, to some extent, boost power and give you a little higher exhaust tone on a higher winding V-6 or V-8 engine. The "H" pipe will give you, to some extent, better low end performance (torque) and a deeper exhaust tone.

Doug

1 - 20 of 20 Posts