El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to share this, so please humor me.

For over a year now I`ve been chasing an "overheat" condition on my son`s 64.....

here`s a "VERY" long thread from back then.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=41948&highlight=hasbeen

I never did figure it out, and frustrated, just decided when it burnt up I would build it again. It`s had a few thousand miles on it since I stopped looking, but will still creep into the 220 degree range if idling very much.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday night when I was helping a friend work on his Airboat (SBC 350 Chevy) and the topic of Distributor / Vacuum advance came up.

We both had differing Ideas on how and when they function, or even why.
Yesterday morning he sent me a copy of an article that he had found explaining it in terms that made sense to me. A portion of the article made reference to "idle overheat"
regarding direct manifold vacuum source, rather than ported vacuum source (above the carb butterflies).
I couldn`t wait to get home and check out the 64.

Turns out I had it the vacuum advance on the "ported vacuum" location, so I moved it per the article.

After setting static timing, then checking with direct vacuum, and re-adjusting the carb mixture and idle speed, the car idled for over an hour at 190 degrees.

It just goes to show how the little things can really count.

Since I don`t know who wrote the article, I don`t know if I should post it, but if anybody wants a copy just p.m. me.

Thanks for the long read.

Hasbeen:texas:

·
0 Posts
Yep! Little things like that matter in these old cars. Glad you found the problem!:beer:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Been a while since that thread, but I thought that may have been brought up to you----dunno (and did not re-read the thread).

The ported vacuum is primarily for emission controls.
Hotter engines tend to run a bit cleaner.

220 does not bother me at idle---good for getting rid of moisture that does not belong there.
The fans in my 59 are set to come on at 225, and they seldom come on unless I am stuck in traffic at a light.

But yes, any temps under 200 are much easier on the mind when you have overheat concerns.

Glad ya got it sorted out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts