El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I was reading Mad Magazine and came across a section that was titled “You know you really have it made when…..” In that section there was a cartoon that said, “You really have it made when you have a 4 car garage and have to leave the Ferrari out in the rain” with the accompany picture of a Ferrari at the curb with an umbrella over it. Being the car guy that I am that has stuck with all these years.
I have neither a 4 car garage nor a Ferrari so I guess I never made it but I do have a nice El Camino that no longer sees the harsh Utah winters so I need a good dependable daily driver. My current daily (’91 Buick Skylark) after almost 4 years of dependable service was beginning to start nickel and dime me so I’ve been looking for another daily and came across this gem for a thousand bucks. It needed some TLC and a new heater core but runs and drives great.

It’s been in the same family since it was new and has 98,000 miles on the clock. It’s previous is now in his 80’s and no longer drives so decided to get rid of it. This is why I like Buicks. Most are owned by little old blue haired ladies and have been kept well maintained. They are good dependable cars unlike say a Honda that you know some teenage son has been playing Fast and Furious in.
For you out there looking for a winter beater or just a 2nd car to chase parts in while the Elky is down there are a lot of good deals out there if you take the time to look. For the guys with the 4 car garages maybe you should at least get a car cover for your Ferrari.
:cool1:

·
Registered
938 Posts
There was a 77 Impala 2 dr coupe for sale locally for $7000. Totally stock with 350 V8 and less than 50k miles. Beautiful blue exterior/interior. By the time I made up my mind to buy it, it was gone. :cry2:

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Still have da 02 one owner Z28 for sale.. Just sayin'.

·
Site Contributor Supporting Member
2,531 Posts
James it looks like you did good son. If he had to leave the Ferrari out in the rain, I wonder what was in the garage.LOL

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,572 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a low-mile used Buick. What they lack in excitement, they make up for in reliability and comfort.
Until recently, I've had company cars, but as an inexpensive "extra" in the driveway there's been more used Buicks than all other brands combined.

Bill

·
Registered
426 Posts
I loved my grandmas 71 buick bullet back Riviera .
455 new designed heads and Theres a old good story behind them.
later 1st SB2 Nascar engines .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Since I’m really a great grandpa I think I qualify as an old people. I have the age too! I just sold my 41 Willys blown sbc.

I just bought a true old people’s car.....94 Buick Roadmaster station wagon. It’s has OEM LT 1 motor and 4L 60 4 Speed OD. These were rather hotrods of the big cars in the day with 260 hp. These can get 25-28 mpg on the highway and 0-60 well under 8 sec, some reviews say into the 6 sec range but I’ll have to see that to believe it.

It’s only got 100 k on the clock and no winters. I’m picking it up a week from this weekend. It will get a 1400 mile road test for openers.

I’ll post pictures after I pick it up.

Meanwhile, my 77 SS Is resting peacefully in a heated garage, awaiting spring and summer cruises.

Byron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts