El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belive it or not - It's true.
Pulled the ole Elky out of the garage so I could paint the walls Saturday. Let it sit outside all day "first time out of the garage for a long time". Wanted to put it away but I could not start the motor. It cranked once then clunk - nothing. Motor would not spin - Thought to myself, starter problem. Kept trying with the key then Yikes - white smoke pouring out from under the hood. Remove key, pop hood, turn battery switch to off. Step back and mumble ***? Notice small ground wire insulation melted off - cause of white smoke. I walked away before I started hitting something with a hammer. I ended up going somewhere with the better half and did not get back to it for a few hours.
Tried again to start it and it did kind of missing bad and stumbling. Drove the car off the grass and back on the asphalt where it died. Scratching my butt wondering what next, I notice the strong smell of gas. Pull the air cleaner look at the Edelbrock carb - see a little gas on the intake. ??? Step back and see gas dripping onto the driveway. AHHH. Grab a pan stick it under the engine. What the hell? Look closer to see where the gas is coming from I see its leaking from the seal on the OIL PAN.
No it cant be I think to myself. Pull the oil drain plug and woosh. Three gallons of gas drain out from the block.
Today I spoke with Edelbrock tech support and asked their opinion. They said the float is stuck open and to test my mechanical fuel pump pressure it must be too high.

I will test the pressure and check the float. But three gallon of gas in the motor? Come on I have driven the car no more than an hour after getting it together again. Bunch of 10 min. spurts around the block. Would that fill a engine that fast?

My theory:
I have not put back the charcoal cannaster yet. So the new gas tank vent return line still has a rubber cap covering the tube end in the engine bay. The gas cap is sealed.
Pressure built up from letting the elky sit in the sun all day and it forced fuel out into the motor. Why I think this? I removed the gas cap and it sucked in a big gulp of air. Never had a car do that before.

Another Life lesson to learn. Sure hope the mains are not wiped.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
After putting in fresh oil, I would probably pull the dist and spin the oil pump shaft to build up pressure before starting it without the oil on the bearings. I don't know if cranking it over with ign wire off will accomplish that or not. If you crank it there still maynot be oil on the bearings. Others may give more advise.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
First, if the small ground wire is smoking from trying to start, it is likely that the large ground wire is not functional. All the current from the starter is trying to flow back through the body and the small ground wire. Important to get this fixed- especially with a gas problem as well. One thing you don't need is sparks!

Second, if you plugged off your vent line, it could build pressure in the tank. If you had pressure, you would feel the air flowing out from the tank when you took the cap off. If you felt air rushing in, then you have a vacuum. My thought is that if you are sucking gas out of the tank with a mech fuel pump, and have no vent, then a vacuum will be created. Although your suggestion of the heat building pressure is a good one.

I have also heard of the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm rupturing, allowing gas to flow directly into the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts