El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a total makeover. My Elky is dark red and silver. I now have a red (carmine) interior. Here is what I am thinking. Dark gray carpet, medium gray headliner, all else in stock red. I have a bench 50/50 seat. I am replacing and repainting all plastic trim, red. I will also be putting on a dash cap, paint red.
The carpet is that color so as to not show dirt as much, I drive it alot.
Well what do you all think? Will it work? or will it look missed matched?
Men's and women's opinions wanted.
Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The headline,, I would look at other colors as well,, photo chop the inside of the cruck and change colors,, I would try a black liner,, maybe two tone custom liner?? I wonder if a lighter color would help offset the colors,, tan maybe??? Matty man

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Sounds like it will look great to me,Glenn. BY THE way my middle name is GLENN

·
Registered
802 Posts
Haha brothers! Almost...

Im a fan of black if you dont mind burning your azz in the summer lol :poke:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Had a 77' chevy monza that was factory firethorn red next to the silver exterior. Very striking color when in unfaded condition. Mine had carpet & headliner same red, But I think med to dark grey could look good. X-2 on door accents, Maybe that original chrome strip even.
I,d recommend SEM spray for recoloring, with proper prep , of course. Could get a can of their grey & paint some masking tape to stick on an area as a sample to help you vizualize the grey as an accent.
Be careful if picking grey carpet colors, some tend to look a little green, especially after aging in sun. Don't ask how I know.

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
IF you want to go really crazy, you could go to a tan color. I think it looks good with the red ( was blue before the color change).

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not to thread jack but would F-150 seats fit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IF you want to go really crazy, you could go to a tan color. I think it looks good with the red ( was blue before the color change).

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/darbysan/CIMG3144.jpg
OMG. you can come and do my interior in any color if it came out like that. WOW, That looks awesome. You have some serious skills.
I am looking at putting a chevy bowtie in my headliner, a raised look. Using closed cell foam in bowtie then put headliner material over it with regular foam all under the material. I think that the black stripe instead of chrome on doors. I am also putting in a custom maplight of some sort. I already have maplights in mirror.
If I could do a color change on dash and change out my seats, I would do a total color change, like the one above. I do not have that kind of skill, nor the money to pay for someone else. Just working on a shoestring budget and my own limited skills.
Thanks for all opinions and any more you have.

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Everything you have planned to do to your's can be done in this color ( SEM paint is good stuff). Replace the carpet, and for the seats- you can have them dyed or recovered for a reasonable cost. Initially my car was blue, and I regretted not changing the color when I did the first paint job. I thought the dash would be a problem, but it is actually pretty easy to remove and install.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it. If you don't like it, it's easy to change. ( sort of like buying a house or getting married- the first time is the hardest !)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm glad Darby posted that! I love his interior.

I was thinking of going with the original red carpet but switching to a black dash, headliner, doors and black buckets with red stiching.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts